Pool Safety Cover and Pavers

Jun 14, 2010
Massachusetts
Still waiting on that permit, but while we are waiting I am thinking of all the questions I have about this new build. Our last pool had stamped concrete, so the safety cover was installed by putting anchors into the concrete (and some longer achors in the grass on the back side). This time we are thinking pavers, so I am wondering if the install is the same. Do the anchors get drilled into the beautiful pavers after they are laid, or is the cover measured and incorporated into the decking plan.

We've met with two decking folks recommended by our builder. The first does everything, including concrete and pavers. The second is a landscaper who does pavers. My concern with doing concrete again is mostly how hot and slippery it got. Pavers worry me because they always seem to grow weeds. However, having seen some very nice paver jobs I think we are leaning in that direction. We will likely do the Techo Blue 60 with a combined color. I can't remember who, but someone here has pictures of their job in northern Mass or NH with that blend and it is lovely.

As much as I promised myself I would relax and not get caught up in the timeline this time, it is just too exciting not to. Hoping the permit comes in this week and we can start digging next week. Maybe we'll get a few weeks of swimming in before the end of the season!

If you are putting in a liner pool like I did, my pool perimeter is 24" out from the pool and then I am going with pavers. The one quote I got back regarding the safety cover is that they supply short springs and you drill into the perimeter cement. They also had short paver anchors and long soil anchors. You should be covered. If your pavers are larger, drilling with a proper bit and water for cooling should keep them from cracking. You can also use the polymeric sand for the pavers that you wet and it bonds to the paves and seals the deck. Weed control :)

Our polymeric sand in our patio (not near our pool mind you) has lasted well for five years. But a few weeds are starting to poke through. I'm going to rent a plate compactor and refill it this fall. I was pleased with the longevity. I've heard that polymeric sand may lose its bonding capacity (and thus wash away) more quickly when it is subjected to repeated wet and dry cycles as it would be near a pool. Not a deal breaker by any means though and may not even be reality.

For safety cover installation in pavers, your drill at a joint, not through the center. For the anchors, you use 20" pipe that gets driven into the ground through the drilled holes. The cover anchor gets put into the top of the pipe. I had 5 plus feet of snow on mine this last winter and had nothing move, so it's fine for heavy loads.

For safety cover installation in pavers, your drill at a joint, not through the center. For the anchors, you use 20" pipe that gets driven into the ground through the drilled holes. The cover anchor gets put into the top of the pipe. I had 5 plus feet of snow on mine this last winter and had nothing move, so it's fine for heavy loads.

Great information. We're also finalizing our material selections. Our final 2 contenders are Techo Bloc Blu 60 or the Aberdeen. Will make a decision in the next day or 2.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.