First time pool owner, trying to get started

Jun 15, 2015
Fort Pierce, FL
Hi There,
First time pool owner here and I am trying to get my pool going for the summer. One of my main problems is that I had a soft spot in the yard and the pool sunk. Any remedies without having to drain and start over? Its obviously extremely heavy. Also, this is my water straight out of the ground. I have added no chemicals. I bought a small bag of shock and I have some chlorine bleach, I can get more. What do you guys think I will need to add to it? I have a test kit a friend gave to me that tests chlorine, bromine, pH, alkalinity and acidity I think. my pH was 7.2 and my chlorine and bromine were 0. I haven't done the other two tests. Will it take much to get sparkly blue water? I've been reading tons of posts all day, and all this SLAMming sounds difficult for me to achieve, but I am willing to try if thats what it needs. The thing is that so far I know nothing about pools :( Nothing about pumps, filters, idk what backwash is, etc. Please hold my hand, and I will learn! I Promise!

I'm sorry I don't know how to add a picture:( i have one so please help me how to add also.

poolbefore.jpg

that dip in the back is because i put half of the legs on some 2x4's to make it level with the pool and they gave way while it was filling (left the hose on while I went to work, neighbor turned it off for me around lunchtime). Anyway to get it back up and level without draining and moving and refilling?

Above ground pools have to be level, else the pressure on one side or the other can collapse the whole thing. I don't know that there is any good solution other than to drain, pull it all down, and sand under the whole thing to level it out (or whatever the manufacturer recommends).

Also, the test kit you have isn't going to get you through the summer. I'd recommend you order the K-2006 or the TF-100....read some of the threads on Test Kits and you'll see what you need. The kit you have is very, very basic and is going to make it difficult for you to keep algae out of there, and a good test kit will pay for itself over in not putting a bunch of unneeded and unwanted chemicals in the pool while you chase cloudy water around.

Welcome! Sorry I don't have a better solution.

Welcome to TFP! TFP is not difficult, so rest easy. However your pool being on a soft foundation is the worst part right now. I agree with Sandra that you will have to drain and stabilize that ground so you have a good foundation for the pool. No sense trying to correct that existing water. At the same time, you'll fill it with fresh water which should hold you over until you get the proper test kit (see TF-100 link below). But you need to order it right away to be in control of your pool.

From there, we can help you very easily. Welcome to TFP, and let us know if you have any other questions.

alright, started the draining process. Let it drain for about twenty minutes and it got dark on me so I plugged it back up, I don't want to flood my neighbors out. I will continue draining earlier tomorrow. Thanks for your help guys, I will be back once I get it situated in a better location as I am eager to start the swimming season!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.