Summer Pool Temp in Vegas??

Mar 22, 2008
I am curious as to other Vegas or extreme heat cities as to what they maintain their pool temp to be in the summer?

Last summer was my first and I think I did good with Bleach, but I have a feeling the high temp during the day of the water was causing some serious chemical usage.

I have a solar panel and just let it maintain the temp all summer, I think I had it set to 85-87, but I know somedays the water temp was up to 92-93. Remember the average daily temp was around 108-110.

Any suggestions?

Though not in an extreme climate, we keep our pool at around 88F and it varies in the summer from 86-90F but does not seem to have unusually high chlorine usage. If the pool is unused, then the chlorine usage is around 0.6 ppm per day with around 3-4 ppm FC and 30-40 ppm CYA. However, I have an opaque pool cover that keeps out the sunlight. When the pool is used every day and the pool is open for 1-2 hours, then the usage climbs to around 1 ppm FC per day.

So I suspect that any unusual chlorine usage you are seeing is mostly due to breakdown of chlorine from sunlight. A higher CYA level, with correspondingly higher FC level, can help. If your FC/CYA ratio is on the edge, then you could be seeing chlorine demand from nascent algae growth.

Richard

So I should not run the solar at all during the day?

The pool temps changed dramatically overnight, so in the morning temp would be upper 70's low 80s, solar panel runs when the pump runs if the water is not within 2 degrees of desired temp which was about 87. Thats what happens most days.

My main question is how warm do others keep their water? sounds like 85-88 is not unreasonable but 90's is too much.

The issue last year was balancing. I tried raising CYA to 60 or 70 to compensate but them somehow still had 5ppm usage per day, shocked probably 6 or 7 times throughout the summer even though I was maintaining chlorine levels its like I would maintain them then all of a sudden i would go from 3-4 usage per day up to 7 within a couple days, so I would check CYA and CYA would be 40. Just seemed impossible to maintain and instead of 5 minutes per day it was 15-20 plus hundreds of trips to buy chlorine. I NEVER saw anything in the water that looks like algae so I always assumed some sort of organics but seemed like I was shocking for 5-6 days every other week. Soooo.... I was wondering is lowering my daily water temp slightly would help the chlorine usage.

It was probably the direct sun more than the relatively high temperature of your water. I noticed a big drop in chlorine usage when my hubby put a shade made from a large tarp over my pool! It also made the water a little cooler. One thing that I did was instead of using household bleach I would use the liquid chlorine from the pool stores. 10% chlorine - so I wasn't using as much.

Raising my CYA to 50 helped some, too. I did use tri-chlor tablets for a little while, to go from 40 to 50. :-D

We keep our pool around 83. The more active you expect to be the lower the ideal temperature is. If you are swimming laps then temperatures in the high 70s are often good. If you are lounging around then temperatures in the high 80s can be nice.

Our pool pretty much stays in the 87*-91 range,88-89 being ideal. Up here in WI we run solar heat all day to keep it there though. :x We pretty much don't go in, except the dog, if it's less than 86*. Our pool's not really deep enough to do much other then lounge, so the warm water is nice. We'll see how it ends up this summer though. Now we've got a hot tub which will be heated exclusively by solar(hopefully). This will take some of the heat the pool normally gets, but we'll see what happens.

Adam

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.