Vinyl Liner Pool remodel. Leaking and Pool deck.

Jul 31, 2014
Norman, Oklahoma
Hello everyone, I started reading hits forum last year when we moved into our new house that had a pool. This was my first pool and I have learned tons from this site. I used TFPC to take care of our pool last summer and it worked great.

Having said that, our liner has a leak in the deep end. The previous owner used way to many chemicals and destroyed the liner in the deep end.

Our pool is about ~35' long by ~16' wide and a kidney bean shape. It has polymer walls. The pool deck is concrete about 4' wide all the way around the pool with about 10' of extra decking at 1 end.

I'm in the process of getting bids to replace the liner. At the same time we would like to replace the pool deck and move the pool equipment to more secluded location (currently its sitting directly next to the pool and an extreme eyesore) Currently it has a concrete pool deck that is cracked and lifted in several places and has some significant settling in multiple places around the pool.

If I understand it properly, it would be best to get the decking replaced before we replace the liner to prevent damage to the new liner?
Is the decking itself integral to the to pool structure?
Can I get the concrete pool deck demoed and removed to get it out of the way to make room for the pool company to move the plumbing without risking the pool structure?

If it falls into the budget we would also like to add a hot tub/spa near the deep end that flows into the pool. Likely a pre-made fiberglass model.

All of the pool installers I have talked to so far will only replace the liner and don't do the pool deck as well.
I got a quote from a landscape company to demo and replace the decking and lets just say it was astronomical. (16k to demo, 40k to install pavers). I have contacts with several different subs that can do the individual pieces, but I would need to coordinate individual components. Demo,plumbing,decking,liner, etc.

Assuming my assumptions above are correct my plan is as follows. Does this seem like a reasonable plan?

1. Demo and remove existing pool deck.
2. Pool company to move plumbing and electricity to new location.
3. Install Hot Tub/Spa (if possible) including plumbing.
4. Install new decking (looking at pavers or stamped concrete) Would appreciate thoughts on pros/cons
5. Pool company to install new liner
6. Fill the pool
7. Enjoy.

Welcome to TFP!! (officially, since you've been around behind the scenes)

I like your plan! Not because I know anything about it - sorry, I don't. But because I just love an organized plan!

Some of the experts will be able to help with your questions.

But $40k for a paver deck? That's insane. Well, on the other hand, I'll be happy to fly up and take your $40k for the job!!

During the planning phase of our pool, I saw on Pinterest some awesome hot tubs which spilled into pools. That's a great idea!

Sorry I'm not more help. Good luck! Suz.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.