oily slick

Hi and welcome to TFP!

First of all, do you have any idea as to what the source of the oily film is? Was something spilled in the pool? Could it be some product that was applied to the skin and ended up being washed off and into your pool? I would doubt that it is suntan lotion since this is an indoor pool.

First step is to post a full set of test results so we can get an idea of what is going on. Also post your equipment (type of filtration, etc.) and how you are chlorinating the pool. Also let us know any other chems you might be using (clarifiers, enzymes, etc.).
Once we have this info we can better help you! :)

Do as the others have posted, check the skimming action and the chem levels.

I'm a little surprised that the term 'scumballs' hasn't come up :? They are like Nerf balls that can be put in the skimmer (or pool) to absorb the body oils that accumulate - they need to be cleaned when they get dirty, but do a good job of catching surface oils.

Welcome to TFP!!

I'm a little surprised that the term 'scumballs' hasn't come up :? They are like Nerf balls that can be put in the skimmer (or pool) to absorb the body oils that accumulate - they need to be cleaned when they get dirty, but do a good job of catching surface oils.

I thought of that as well, but I wanted to know what we were dealing with first; oily sheen from skin and tanning oils or oily sheen from hydrocarbon contamination. If it's due to skin and tanning stuff, I say go with the scumballs. Those things are great! If the oil is from heavier sources though, the scumballs might not be enough and one might have to look at Pig absorbent materials to get the job done.

Scumballs are the first thing that came to mind but before I recommend them I want to make sure the water is properly balance and that the oil slick is not from misuse of clarifiers, etc. Also, if the slick is bad and enzyme might be needed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.