New Public Pool Law Starts Dec. 19.

Even the people who are supposed to educate us on this are confused on many aspects of it's implementation. It's not supposed to go into full force until February or March. It's a good thing, but needs a lot of clarity and even more importantly needs to be practical based on what manufacturers have available. There just aren't enough qualified covers and sumps out there.

It's times like this that I'm happy most of my work is on the homeowner front.

Seeing as how I don't post here very often, I'm actually surprised to see that are not a lot of threads talking about this since it affects all pool and spa owners, not to mention being one of the biggest issues the industry has faced in a long time. I've personally been to three different meetings/seminars on the topic all held by different organizations, so I know the word is out there.

It's funny that a lot of the focus has been on the public pool sector throughout this whole thing, when it wasn't supposed to be written for them in the first place. It was meant for all the residential pools and spas, however because of how it was written it affects everyone.

Just as question to budster's post...how is the question still open about portable spas???...The act says that all pools and spas must be in compliance, so I don't see how a portable spa would be exempt.

I tried the link in budster's post but it's gone now.

I tried looking around on cpsc.gov, there is info there and clearly the
requirements for public and private pools are different. But the easy-to-follow
presentations are geared for public pools only. I can tell that residential
pools are supposed to be fenced (duh) but I can't tell what makes a given
drain good or bad.

I'm certain I don't have an auto shutoff, but my main drain doesn't look at all
like the drain in the pool we had when I was a kid. I can't tell if it meets the
requirements or not.
--paulr

Well, mine is certainly not a public pool, but in the spirit of complying with all directives from our brilliant federal government, I intend to comply.......provided my request for $365,000 in bailout money is met :shock:

I'm shovel-ready :-D

The residential portion of the law basically says that states will make their own laws and the feds will give grants to partially fund their efforts. Only the CPSC isn't even looking into that part yet and there has been no money allocated for it.

For the most part, pools and spas located in single-family dwellings aren’t immediately impacted.

“Due to the tremendous amount of work the agency has to do regarding [the commercial section] of the Pool and Spa Safety Act, we are not working on [the residential portion] at this time,” said Scott Wolfson, spokesman for CPSC, which is in charge of administering the act.

http://www.poolspanews.com/2009/012/012 ... ainty.html

Sorry about that link. I'll fix asap. The "spa question" was one that impacted my side of the business. No manufacturer may make, nor any distributor provide a noncompliant product, so to speak. Portable spas ARE covered by the law, and up untill very recently, suction outlets on portable spas were not "3 ft. apart, center to center", and did not have certified drain covers that met flow requirements, etc. Waterways, who supplies a big chunk of those fittings just got them made, approved, and to market in January. Now I can sell those spas from distribution. Many spa manufacturers ignored the deadline. My primary source, Dynasty Spas, did not.

Spishex, there is little left for debate or discussion, and enforcement could begin as of December 19th, prior! The law took effect then, and CPSC has NOT granted, nor can it grant, any concessions to the law. Period. Please remember the law has two focii -- "All public pools and spas shall have compliant drain covers, and the other provisions for SVRS, etc. as of December 19th, 2008. The other focus is on manufacture and distribution of compliant-only products. It's all moot now, since any main drain now manufactured is compliant, whether for use on public or residential pools.

BTW, here's the link: http://www.apsp.org/clientresources/documents/VGB_brochure_LoRez_Jan13_2009.pdf.

EDIT to add -- January 30th Statement from CPSC Link HERE.

There does seem to be some debate among existing residential pool owners about whether or not the health department is going to start coming door-to-door to check for compliance. Granted, any new build is going to have to meet the criteria period, but there is a bit of confusion as pointed out in the link.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I was just at the Orlando Pool Show and attended a florida version of the VGB forum.

I like to consider myself on the forefront of consumer safety. But with this new law I am lost as it relates to my service business. Our business only deals with existing residential pools. We don't build, but we do renovate from time to time. We do install liners in in-ground pools. But that's about it. The law seems vague about what has to happen to residential pools to open them this spring and summer. I have thought of a few suggestions for my clients and was wondering if someone could offer me more.

1) all renovations with single drains should be converted to dual drains, either gunite or vinyl. We won't take the job unless they convert.

2) all pools regardless of how many drains they have, will have a ASME compliant drain cover installed. With all my vinyl liner replacements, i am going to convert to dual main drains with new covers, even though i am not mandated to, it is a good business decision for liability issues and the ethical thing to do to prevent injuries.

3) if a pool motor needs replacement we'll use a SVRS compliant replacement motor from AO Smith or other brand.

I am working on a letter and pricing to send to my clients. I am not really into scare policies to get the message across. If anyone has a sample letter they sent out to their clients. Please post!

spishex said:
There does seem to be some debate among existing residential pool owners about whether or not the health department is going to start coming door-to-door to check for compliance. Granted, any new build is going to have to meet the criteria period, but there is a bit of confusion as pointed out in the link.

you'll get the door slammed in your face if you come to my house to "inspect" my pool.

tagprod said:
spishex said:

you'll get the door slammed in your face if you come to my house to "inspect" my pool.

IF that does come down, you could face 20 years in jail and/or a $18,000,000 fine. Its not something to mess around with if it does come down for residential pools. Which I heard it was at the Orlando Pool Show. We should know more after the CSPS and the DOH meet for each state. They are telling me it could be 2010 or 2011. The rule should be, how proactive can you be?

As the law is written now, it does not apply to residential in terms of retrofit of existing pools. That is, the FEDERAL VGB Law. What each state chooses to amplify over that, who knows? An interesting angle in my market involves private residences that are rented out though property rental agencies (in this case, on Hilton Head). Though DHEC in SC does not inspect them, the owners, and the property rental agencies are contemplating possibilities of litigation if some bad event happens and these pools are not as "safe" as they could possibly be.

We shall see.... :?:

Right now the only part of the rule that applies to residential pools is that it is illegal to sell or install a non-compliant drain.

Some of the insurance companies are thinking about requiring compliance from residential pools before they will issue insurance. The federal government also offers incentives to states that legislate some kind of requirements for residential compliance. Neither of these things appear to have been implemented anywhere yet, but I expect we will start seeing some preliminary actions along these lines by sometime this summer.

JasonLion said:
Right now the only part of the rule that applies to residential pools is that it is illegal to sell or install a non-compliant drain.

Some of the insurance companies are thinking about requiring compliance from residential pools before they will issue insurance. The federal government also offers incentives to states that legislate some kind of requirements for residential compliance. Neither of these things appear to have been implemented anywhere yet, but I expect we will start seeing some preliminary actions along these lines by sometime this summer.

Thus, we keep fully stocked on DS360's, Hayward, Waterways, AquaStar and, when Pentair and Lawson Aquatics work out their issues, Pentair frames and grates. It's only a matter of time.... 8)

I just saw the new regulations for our town. Not much change; but alittle.

The definition of swimming pool is any structure intended for swimming, recreational bathing or wading that contains water over 24 inches deep. The phrase contains water over 24 inches deep means having walls high enough for the pool to be capable of containing water to a depth of 24 inches or more when filled.

The definition of structure is any structure intended for swimming, recreational bathing or wading that contains water over 24 inches. This includes in-ground, above-ground and on-ground pools, hot tubs, spas and fixed-in-place wading pools.

Also, a self-set pool is not considered an above-ground pool. "Although a self-set pool has a 48 inch wall, it does not obstruct access because it is not rigid. The wall can easily be deflected by a child who grabs the top inflated ring." Quoted from the rules.

So for those kind of pools, you have to have a 48 inch fence around it with lockable gate(s).

Oh, forgot to say, they consider putting up a self-set pool in the spring is the same as erecting it for the first time. Doesn't matter if you had the pool there last year and took it down for winter. They expect some heat on that.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.