Help, I am through with the swimming pool store "pros"

Jun 14, 2015
Graham, Texas
I have read thru some of the forums last night, have now discovered I am doing everything wrong, I am going to listen to you guys to get my pool in shape. I have been working on my pool for 2 weeks now with the help of the "pros" and it is still a mess. I did flock yesterday, before I found this website, today is the first day in 2 weeks that I can see the bottom of my pool, btw this is my 3rd time to flock. I have put a hose in my skimmer and I am recirculating the water to try to get what is floating on top and will vacuum the pool to waste today and sweep. I looked at the calculator to try myself to figure what I need to add but am confused on how to use it so I am just going to give you my test numbers and get advise from the real pros today. Here is what I got this morning from my K2006

PH 7.6
CYA nothing not even cloudy
FC 0.5
CC 1.0
TA 110 ppm
CH 225 ppm

Thanks and will be ready to run to the store asap to get what i need

You are going to need some stabilizer (CYA) and a bunch of bleach to get started. I wouldn't worry about much else until you get the pool clear, although lowering your pH is recommended before starting anything else.

Welcome to TFP - another Texan. :) We can help you! You have a great test kit - CHECK! :goodjob: Now the readings:
PH - normally good, but wait until your read below.
CYA - Yikes! Need to get that up ASAP with some stabilizer. Use the sock method near your skimmer or return jets. The Poomath calculator can help you determine how much to add.
FC - Way too low which allows algae to bloom. But because you have no CYA to protect it, it's getting burned-off right away from our Texas sun. Put at least one gallon of regular bleach in there each evening to keep a minimum FC level. You could add more, but it will probably get burnt-off without CYA, so start slow and let the CYA build over a few days.
CC is greater than .5 which means something is lurking in your water and a SLAM is required. If you don't know what a SLAM is, please see my link below. You can't start it until your CYA is ideally at 30 ppm, and we get your PH down to about 7.2.
TA - Fine
CH - Fine

So, we know you need to "SLAM", but you need a CYA of 30 to start. Get a sock with stabilizer in their ASAP. You can also add some Muriatic acid to lower the PH to 7.2. Go slow because you can always add acid later. You don't want PH to go below 7.2. Once PH is at 7.2 and you have some CYA close to 30, you can start the SLAM.

Probably seems like a lot of info, but we'll help you. Check back with us for any questions okay. The Poolmath calculator and the Chlorine/CYA Cart are very important to your right now. :)

Welcome to the Forum!
Good for you, staying away from pool store advice! And none too soon!
Start by reading Pool School, and How to Balance Your Pool.
When you use the Pool Calculator, you enter your numbers from the tests on the left side and put in the recommended numbers on the right. Fill in the pool information at the bottom of the page with size of pool, shape, type, then hit calculate. as you roll over the area i.e. pH, the calculator will tell you exactly how much chemicals to add to get to the recommended numbers. That will get you started.
Start buying liquid chlorine or bleach and use that for sanitizer. You will have to purchase powdered CYA to add stabilizer to your pool. If you have pucks or powdered chlorine from the pool store, those have stabilizer in them and will add some to the pool, but you won't know exactly how much.
Since your FC is at Zero, you have to add chlorine/bleach ASAP since the sun is burning it off immediately since you have no CYA. You have to add CYA since the sun is burning off the chlorine immediately. Catch-22.
The experts will be with you soon.
Get ready for a great learning and fun experience to a Trouble Free Pool! It really is Trouble Free! :)

What did the pool store have you using to chlorinate the pool? Tabs? Powdered shock? Usually being pool stored and having a CYA of 0 don't go hand in hand, I might want to double check that test. I have the same kit.

Pool water up to the 7ml line of the smaller plastic bottle. Add r-013 to raise the waterline to the 14 ml line. Shake for 30 seconds. (well....add the screw cap first ;0 ) . Squeeze from the plastic bottle into the tube on the right that has the black dot at the bottom. Hold it at your waste in indirect sunlight (sun behind you). Add until you can't see the dot.

Yes I did exactly that, I even to double check went and had it tested at the store, I know the store isn't as accuarate but wanted to see if they show anything and they came up with 12. I had filled my tube to the top and couldn't add any more and could still see the black dot so maybe 12 it is, so I am new to this totally so what do I need to buy to bring up the CYA is that borax or baking soda?? And not familiar with the sock method??

CYA is usually added by putting the granules in a sock and hanging that in front of a return jet. CYA is referred to as STABILIZER. Go to Walmart or if needed the pool store and look just for Stabilizer. Don't get suckered into anything else.
baking Soda is for raising pH or TA. double check Pool Math tab at the top.

CYA is raised by using "Stabilizer" or "Conditioner" as they are referred to in the store. The active ingredient is Cyanuric Acid. You can get it at Wal-Mart, hardware stores, or yes - even the pool store. As for how to apply it, place the required amount of stabilizer in a sock and dangle it in front of your skimmer or return jet and it will slowly dissolve. You can squeeze it from time to time to help. Once all gone, the CYA number won't climb until about 5-7 days.

You are on the right track to having a clear pool for CHEAP! No more pool store for you!

CYA=stabilizer You can buy it at walmart or lowes. Use pool math to tell you how much to add.

You will put it in a sock. Just a plain sock. I wrap a bungee cord around the top of it and hang it over the side of the pool right in front of the return. You can squeeze it when ever you think of it to speed it up.

-testing for CYA-it will NOT show up on the test until about a week!

You will need to dose your FC as if the amount of CYA you added is already in the water.

Let us know any other questions you have AND make sure to take and share a pic. of your pool!

Kim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks to everyone, to answer BuckeyeChris , they had me using powdered shock, and kimkats good to see you answer I have been following the forum that you have been helping Jen with her pool, I just added 22 oz of muratic acid and going to let that run and im headed to walmart for the stabilizer now. Thanks again, I feel I am close to whipping this thing!!

Alright i vacuumed the pool to waste filled it back up, added muriatic acid and let filter for 2 hrs retested and PH is at 7.2 now, so I added a gallon of bleach and have 2 1/2 lbs of stabilizer hanging in front of the return. Should I test anything again tonight or let it go until in the morning?

Alright i vacuumed the pool to waste filled it back up, added muriatic acid and let filter for 2 hrs retested and PH is at 7.2 now, so I added a gallon of bleach and have 2 1/2 lbs of stabilizer hanging in front of the return. Should I test anything again tonight or let it go until in the morning?
What target did you use for the CYA?

Looks like you are ready to SLAM.

Re: Help, I am through with the swimming pool store "pros"

Tim, I used 40 bringing it up from 0, what does my end number need to be when this is all done? I am going to read up on how to SLAM and see what I need to do.

- - - Updated - - -

Tim, I used 30 bringing it up from 0, what does my end number need to be when this is all done? I am going to read up on how to SLAM and see what I need to do.

Re: Help, I am through with the swimming pool store "pros"

Please tell me you took a before pic for us. If you have been reading you KNOW we LOVE pics!

I can't wait to see you whip that pool into a jewel!

Kim

- - - Updated - - -

I just saw the pic! That will be an easy one to clear up!

You need to test every hour tonight just so you can chart what your FC is doing. If you see that it is holding the SLAM level back off to every other hour than every three hours. Do what your life and pool allows you to do.

Kim

Hi BreAlan,
Be sure to turn off the SWG during the SLAM, it wont do you much good.

WIth CYA of 40, your slam level is 16. MAINTAIN that FC level until the pool is totally clear, your CC are 0, and you pass the Overnight CHlorine Loss Test.
the more often you test and add chlorine to get your FC back up to 16, the faster it will go. The first 2 or 3 days are the most important, but that doesnt mean you can slack off after that. Keep that FC up to 16 and it will go prety quick of you.

Keep us posted.

Dave my CYA is actually 30, I tried to edit that number above and maybe it didn't go thru so from reading my SLAM will be 12, my FC right now is at 3 so I should add 275 oz of bleach if my calculations are correct so thats like 2 1/2 gal bleach, do I understand this correctly?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.