winter storm coming--AGP cover & water level concerns

Ms Flo

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 28, 2008
Southern In
We have a winter storm coming. We may get a 1/2 inch of sleet during the day tomorrow and another 1/2 inch of sleet & snow tomorrow night.
I'm also having cover issues. I'm afraid the weather is about to turn those issues into big problems. What should I do?

Here's the situation:
We have a plug in the return & a lid/seal on the skimmer opening.
Rain water has been pooling on one end of our cover. We have a "pillow" in the middle, but...
I haven't thought to check on the cover in a few weeks, and the water on top of the cover is now over a foot deep in spots. :(
It has raised the pool water level to within 6" of the top. I'm siphoning the rain water off, but it's a slow process.

How big of a problem could this be? What issues could be caused by the uneven weight on top of the cover? Will there be other problems if the rain water freezes? What about if the pool water pushes up to the top rails?

Can anyone give me a ballpark estimate of how quickly/slowly the pool water will freeze? We had a thin layer under the cover about a month ago (CRAZY WEATHER), but it didn't occur to me to pay attention to temps & times.
...so many things I've never had to think about before!

Thanks for all the education you've provided over the last 6 months. I really appreciate it.

The biggest concern is if the weight of the water on the cover begins pulling on the walls of the pool. Sometimes the best thing is to just release the cover to protect the walls.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.