Cacium hardness sanity check

grottoguy

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 24, 2014
NJ
We tested our water today and our Calcium hardness was 150. It had been 175 a number of days ago. I went to Leslie's Pool Service and got "Hardness plus" It was in a 4 pound bucket. According to Pool Math, I need to add 304 OZ (19 pounds) of Calcium Chloride to get my CH to 200. Pool Math also says I need to add 402 ounces (25 pounds) if I am adding calcium Chloride dehydrate.

First question is which one is "Hardness Plus" (calcium Chloride or calcium Chloride dehydrate)?

Second question is according to Pool math, I need to add about 19 pounds of hardness Plus(assuming it is calcium Chloride and is not dehydrate). That is more than 4 buckets full of THE hardness plus SINCE EACH CONTAINER WEIGH 4 POUNDS. Before I pour that much into my pool, I wanted to make sure I am understanding this correctly.

Thanks

Our pool (which is new) was filled on Friday June 5th. On Thursday june 11th PB finally came out to put salt in pool and adjust chemicals. On that day he said PH was 8.4 (probably higher but Im guessing that was the high on his test strip) and he said he added 25 pounds of PH minus. I have checked Ph three times (out of 4 days) since then. The first two times, the PH was probably higher than 8.2 (my test kit doesn't show any higher). I treated it as if it was 8.2, and added the amount ACID Pool Math told me. The third time, which was this morning, it looked like it was 8.2, so I added the amount of ACID Pool math told me. So far, our PH has not been normal because by the time the PB started adding chemicals (Thursday), it has only been about 5 days. But I am being diligent about it.

On Sunday (yesterrday) our Chlorine was zero so i added Liquid Chlorine I got at Leslie's 12.5% (before we had a bunch of people in pool) to the pool. It as been very hot so I figured the sunlight ate away the Chlorine.

Our CYA this morning was 65 (which has been what it was), and our CL was about 1.0. We did add water over the weekend, as our water level was a bit low, but the water we added would have had the same Calcium as the original water.

My wife is going to test our TA later, but when she did it several days ago it was 100.

Thanks

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.