New to Pool SLAM questions

Sidecarist

Bronze Supporter
Jun 14, 2015
Dayton, TN
Hello All,

I am new to pool ownership and learning a lot fast! A little history first. I purchased this new home in the winter and the pool was covered. Because of work travel and moving I wasn't able to open the pool until late May. It was BLACK about 3in of oak leaves, and lots of tadpoles. Much skimming, sweeping, and use of a leaf eater I got it to dark brown and maybe 80% of the debris out. I filled the pool with well water, (lucky my well has no iron) Being a noob I went to the pool store and had water tested. The advice was to shock the #$*& out of it with Dichlor and use an algicide then flock, vacuum to waste. Honestly it worked in clearing things up (see avatar photo) but CYA was now 120. I replaced about 30% of the water and got the CYA down to 80 FC at 5 using pool store. Turned SWG on and enjoyed the pool for a day before I had to leave town.

I bought a taylor 2006 kit before returning to the house. after 3 weeks. The pool was a brown mess... Skimmer was full of leaves. Tested the water and
FC 5.8
CC 0.6
TA 40
CH 260
PH 10+
SALT 4600

Using pool math I added Muriatic acid to get PH to 7.2 then Baking Soda to get TA to 110

Started to SLAM Brought FC up to 24 and for two nights FC loss has been 6.2 & 5.8. Pool is very cloudy slightly green/yellow. It looks like I have Tannin staining too on steps and as a ring around the upper 8" or so (bleach will lighten the stains).

Filter has been cleaned once and pressure is rising again will clean it this afternoon.

I am being impatient... as I am here for only a week then will be away again for three-four weeks. The wife and kids would like to use the pool but it's not practical yet.

As I am leaving for a few weeks should I increase the SWG output? It was set on 2 last time but I still had an algae bloom. I don't expect it to be perfect when I return, but would like to have it in a condition I can clear up in a day or two. I have no problem getting up early, brushing, etc to make it happen....

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Current test levels
FC 23
CC NOT TESTED
PH NOT TESTED CL too high
TA 130
TH 270
CYA 60 (due to vacuuming to waste)
SALT 3800 (ditto)

Thanks to all in advance!

Bob

I am so glad you are heading in the right direction with the test kit. You do need to buy some more regents as the 2006 just does not have enough of what you are going to need to get your pool to the jewel it can be.

For right now turn your SWG off and only use bleach/chlorine. The more you test and add bleach the faster it will clear. Also add a skimmer sock for when you are going to be there to babysit it.

You are very close now. I hope if you hit it hard (major testing and adding bleach) you can get it cleared before you leave.

Will your wife be able to add bleach while you are gone? Do you think she can do the tests?

Kim (the only thing my husband does in the pool is swim so...........)

Swg is off. The house will be vacant with no one to care for the pool for 3 to 4 weeks. That's the concern.

I bought extra reagent as I saw the need so I'm good there for now.

Bleach only for now. I've been doing a lot of reading here and learning a lot. My schedule makes the M in slam hard for me until sometime in august...

Thanks for the encouraging words

Bob

My wife can do almost everything I can and many things I can't!!!

Bob, seeing as how you are going to be away for a bit, you still have some time to take care of the "heavy lifting" for Mrs. Bob. :) By that I mean starting the SLAM now a few days before you leave, manually removing as much if the debris as possible, stocking-up on bleach so she doesn't have to run to the store, and doing a few filter rinses as well. Hopefully by the time you are packed and gone, you will have already seen visible progress in your water quality, and all she has to do it simply walk out there and pour-in the bleach as needed. If you could show her how to test the chlorine (FC SLAM Level number) that would be wonderful.

If only that were a possibility... I checked with the local pool store Lowes, etc for a pool service. only found one and they don't do BBB or TFP methods. Price is $$$ plus chemical cost, and they want to use Copper based algicide rather than bleach. The fellow was honest and said it just wasn't profitable for him.

I lost 10ppm of FC between 7am and 8PM (7am 31, 11am 24, 8pm 20ppm) CYA is 58 or 60 depending on the light. I'l bring it back up to 24ppm shock level. Water is still cloudy. I brushed the pool 3 times today and am running my suction side cleaner Zodiac G3 mostly to keep the water agitated and help break the biofilm some too. Changed/cleaned the filter cartridge (I have a spare) at noon too as the pressure had doubled in 12 hours.

I think its getting there but everyone is anxious to use the pool and I doubt it will be possible in the next 3 days before we leave.

After that unless there is advice otherwise I'll run the SWG set at 4 rather than 2 and hope for the best!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Darn! I am guessing no neighbors that you could bribe to help out?

Hummmmm what about stuffing pucks in floaters??? You might have to dump a little water to lower the CYA when you get back but...............

Kim

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.