Vinyl leak- Only a foot left!!

Jul 10, 2014
Greenville, SC
Folks, we've been dealing with a leak in our inground pool for awhile. Fixed some some minor pvc leaks by the pump but the leak continued, and the rate of loss has increased over the past couple of weeks. The water level is now below all the returns and skimmer and we have performed the dye test around the light, the drain and some of the seams (around stairs esp). There is now only one foot left in the shallow end- the danger zone- and the water level is dropping several inches a day. I won't be able to get back in the water for more dye testing until this afternoon.

Help! I understand that the liner will be ruined if we don't stop the water level from dropping soon. We just don't have several thousand dollars for a new liner right now...

Could it be by where the ladder comes into contact with the liner? I had a friend who once forgot to put the "stomps" and that caused a leak. Have you considered getting a professional "leak finder"? I did that a few years ago, I believe the cost was around 500 but they don't guarantee that they will find the leak. In my case they found 4 from furniture that had blown into the pool during a major storm.

Thank you for the advice jrguzmanr.

We finally found 4 holes on the bottom of the pool, but, oddly, dye does not get sucked into any of them. Does this mean they are not the source of the leak?

Additionally, though we have not patched the holes yet, my husband has refilled the pool and it is no longer leaking at all (its been about 48 hours)!

We are not sure what to make of any of this...

Any ideas?

Leaks can be a challenge to find, in this case it could be as simple as something is temporarily plugging the leak and it will come back, wait and see, and when it does continue to search for it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.