Bigger pool this year, need advice about CYA and adjusting pH

Jun 14, 2015
Voorhees, NJ
Hi Everyone, this is my first post.
Quick background: For the last 6 years or so, I had an Intex 12'x36" with a SWG, no problems ever. Never adjusted Ph or added CYA. I guess I was lucky, I just ran the SWG every night for 3 hours & morning chlorine would be good. This year, I upgraded to a 16'x48" Intex (another story). I was concerned because it is bigger so I have been reading TFP to make sure I start out right.

Here goes: I filled my pool Friday to Saturday (chlorinated city water) and added 120 lbs salt & ran filter for 24 hours. On Sunday salt=2,400 ppm,+ 5lbs more. I was scared to add CYA because I didn't know how to add it and I've never used it before. But we did buy some yesterday.

Last night I ran the SWG for the recommended 4 hours. Here are this morning's results (test strips is all I have right now-will get a real test kit asap)
FC: 1
pH: < 6.2
TA: < 40

So I ran the SWG for another 3 hours.
FC: 1
pH: 6.2
TA: 40

It seems I am losing FC as soon as I can generate it. So my first question is do I address the pH first and then add the CYA (sock method) or something else? The other Q is which test kit is best for my situation. The directions for the TF-100 seem so complicated.

Thanks! ~Kathleen

Welcome Kathleen, have no fear, TFP if here! It can seem overwhelming to learn how to operate your pool properly, but everything you need to know is here at this site, with hundreds of fellow pool owners willing and able to answer your questions. Learning to test and manage your own chemistry will give you great pride, sparkling water, and save lots of money.

Here is an article about the TFP method's pool chemicals and how to add them, including the CYA sock method (not scary at all!) CYA is definitely needed to protect your chlorine, as you said you're losing it as fast as you added.

Also, the TF-100 may look like a science experiment at first, but after you do it a few times, you won't even need to look at the directions. There are youtube videos demonstrating each test also. To practice TFP methods, you do need a quality test though. If/when you order it, add on the SpeedStir, makes the tests easier and faster. Best wishes!

p.s. you need to get your pH up to the mid 7's, also see the TFP chemicals link

Welcome to TFP! :wave: Great to hear one of the first things you say is getting the correct kit. Some try to procrastinate only to find themselves more behind the power-curve. Good on you! :goodjob:

Poolnoob is correct in that without any stabilizer (CYA), your FC will get eliminated quickly. So yes, absolutely start that sock method of getting stabilizer in the pool. I would start with enough stabilizer to get you to 40 for now, then you can increase more to your ideal SWG range per the Chlorine/CYA Chart link below. Have you ever used the Poomath Calculator before (link below)? It's a fantastic tool to help you determine what and how much of a product to add to reach a certainly level. Experiment with it and let us know if you need help.

Until that CYA gets established in your pool (which takes a week or so), you can use liquid bleach to help augment your SWG if you find it can't keep-up with chlorine production since you have little to no CYA. Once your CYA builds higher to protect your FC, you can fine-tune your SWG levels and most likely eliminate the need for bleach.

Hope this helps a bit. More links below in my sig if you need them. Happy to have you with us. Have a great day.

Okay Thanks! I went to store and picked up some borax. I dissolved 3 cups of borax in a bucket. I added that as slow as I could, then tied on the sock with 1.5 lbs of CYA. Pump is running - how long should I keep it on?
I will retest the pH and add more borax if needed. Sound about right for now?
Should I run the SWG tonight for 4 hours?

It is best to keep the pump running the whole time you are trying to dissolve the CYA. Squeeze the sock a few times per day to speed it up. Yes, running your SWG is fine. You can retest your PH in about an hour and adjust.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.