Jun 15, 2015
Tucson, Az
I came here from what now seems to be a defunct forum. I started taking care of my pool myself a couple of months ago after getting tired of dealing with pool chemical companies. Never realized how easy it is. I bought a drop test kit by HTH, and it serves fairly well. I will be getting the Taylor 2006 soon. I was able to get one TH test out of the HTH kit and the hardness indicator seems to have gone bad. The test water turns yellow instead of blue. I guess that's what you get at wallyworld. Anyway, I hope to continue my education here.

Shawn

Welcome to TFP!!:handwave:

I think you will find the teaching here similar as many of us have been members of both forums in the past.

As to your test kit, I have a Taylor K-2006 but will tell you - be careful comparing prices because the K-2006 comes in sizes, designated by a letter. The basic K-2006 has .75oz bottles. Yo need to get the K-2006-C to get the larger bottles that you want. Even then it is a little short on the reagent & powder for the FAS/DPD test.

What most folks here buy is the TF100. This kit doesn't come int he pretty blue box of th Taylor, but it has more of the reagents we as residential pool owners use.

I also have the SpeedStir and Sample Sizer. They speed testing and accuracy.

Hardness tests in cheap test kits can have issues with proper starting color. Even Taylor reagent hardness tests do this at VERY high FC levels but they handle it better. If you titrate the test anyway, you should still be able to observe the color change and get a hardness level. You'll be better served getting a proper test kit. The TF-100 is the best kit you can buy for the money and what you need as a pool owner.