What time of day should I be testing my chemicals?

s1njin

Jun 11, 2015
Jackson, NJ
Given I have a SWG which only makes chlorine when its on, what time of day should I be doing my full battery of tests? If I test at the end of a swim day, won't I get skewed results given bather load and sun? If I test at the beginning of the day, my SWG hasn't been running all night making any chlorine.

So - do most of you split the difference and test midway through the day? W/ people in the pool and whatever is going on?

Thanks !

If you're running your SWG during the day and it's off at night, then the evening is actually the BEST time to test. You'll know for sure then if your FC has dropped too low due to bather load/sun and you can remedy that with increased FC (either more run time or supplement with liquid shock/bleach). That way you don't have a potential problem brewing over night that your SWG can't overtake the next day and you know that you have sufficient FC overnight to keep things sanitized without loss to bathers or sun.

I understand the concept, but what about CC? If I test at the end of a hot day where I've had a lot of people in the pool, doesn't it stand to reason that I might flag some CC in it? I have never had CC in my pool, yet yesterday evening I registered .5 after 2 days of 90 degrees both in the pool and ambient air and 1 day of 6 people in it.

If it's a hot day with lots of sunshine, you won't have CC showing up unless you have an active algae growth problem or your FC got to zero during the day and your SWCG isn't keeping up. For instance, 0 FC, 1 CC. Sunlight is very good at breaking down CC so as long as you have adequate FC, CC will dissipate quickly. This is why CC is a good indication whether or not something is up.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.