Knowing your pool

tjroux

Sep 1, 2012
Gardiner, ME
My pool chemistry has gotten to the point this year where I no longer check it with the Taylor kit ( maybe once every two weeks, just to make sure )
I check it with the cheap test strips ( mostly for my FC levels )once a week, everything else has stayed spot on ( no drift, no nothing )

I've also gotten to the point where my pool consumes very little bleach. I put 1 gallon in the 15,000 gallon pool on Wednesday and I dont need to put any more in until Sunday when it reads 1ppm. Busy life gets in the way so being 100% on the money with FC doesnt happen. Pool has been CRYSTAL clear and almost 80 for the last 3 weeks.

Thank you TFPC method! :: Thumbs up ::

No real trees dumping stuff into the pool, CYA is good, i've kept an eye on when I put bleach in... I run the pump about 8 hrs a day give or take. I put 1 gallon in just after the sun goes down, leave the pump running for 3-4 hrs after I put it in and test in the morning. Usually a little on the high side ( 6ppm ) and by the time we get home from work we go for a swim and all are happy. No Itchy eyes, no funny feeling skin and most importantly no green. I will be taking the pool steps out in the next few weeks ( probably before July 4th weekend ) to pressure wash just incase something IS lurking .

I'm just gonna leave this here :)

10931485_1019940164691788_5012336726511708581_n.jpg

Not sure what your CYA is, but letting it drop to 1 FC might be tempting fate for algae. I'm with you on it being more intuitive than worrysome but, I still test at the very least every other day and I'm still very careful not to let it drop below the minimum, 3 FC right now for me.

TFP is easy, especially once you know your pool and usage but stay vigilant! That way you have more time for the cold ones pool side.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
My pool chemistry has gotten to the point this year where I no longer check it with the Taylor kit ( maybe once every two weeks, just to make sure )
I check it with the cheap test strips ( mostly for my FC levels )once a week, everything else has stayed spot on ( no drift, no nothing )

I've also gotten to the point where my pool consumes very little bleach. I put 1 gallon in the 15,000 gallon pool on Wednesday and I dont need to put any more in until Sunday when it reads 1ppm. Busy life gets in the way so being 100% on the money with FC doesnt happen. Pool has been CRYSTAL clear and almost 80 for the last 3 weeks.

Thank you TFPC method! :: Thumbs up ::
While I'm happy that it is working out for you, there is nothing in the TFP system that supports the wild swings in FC you are obviously experiencing. Following your "system" allows your pool to be below minimum FC at least a couple of days a week, probably more.

I just want to make sure new members reading this are not confused that this is what we teach, or how they should care for their pools.

Not sure what your CYA is, but letting it drop to 1 FC might be tempting fate for algae. I'm with you on it being more intuitive than worrysome but, I still test at the very least every other day and I'm still very careful not to let it drop below the minimum, 3 FC right now for me.

TFP is easy, especially once you know your pool and usage but stay vigilant! That way you have more time for the cold ones pool side.

CYA is 30.

- - - Updated - - -

While I'm happy that it is working out for you, there is nothing in the TFP system that supports the wild swings in FC you are obviously experiencing. Following your "system" allows your pool to be below minimum FC at least a couple of days a week, probably more.

I just want to make sure new members reading this are not confused that this is what we teach, or how they should care for their pools.

Wild swings? From 6ppm to 1-3ppm in 5ish days? I dont think thats a wild swing..... If i wanted to spend a little more time on it I could add a cup of bleach each day to maintain a 4-5ppm.

CYA is 30.

Wild swings? From 6ppm to 1-3ppm in 5ish days? I dont think thats a wild swing..... If i wanted to spend a little more time on it I could add a cup of bleach each day to maintain a 4-5ppm.
Actually yes, with CYA 30 1 - 6 is a wild swing. Adding a cup a day would be a much better way to care for it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.