Skimmer Nets

I use one,

Really takes out a lot of junk, cutting down how much I have to backwash, saving water.

A bit more work since the skimmer will need to be cleaned more, but worth it for me.

Yeppers, saves our pump, etc from the fuzzy Crud that invades our skies at this time of year. It looks like a Cotton Gin vomitted in our yard.

I started using these a few weeks ago. Had noticed more pollen or whatever fine stuff floating on the water than any year previously.

Huge difference. The stuff these things catch is amazing. I've been cleaning mine every day or so, and am amazed everytime I do. Should definitely extend the need for filter breakdowns and cleaning.

Been using them for a few years now, won't be without them!
Kneehighs don't seem to be as fine a material as the skimmer socks I have seen. Haven't tried them but I don't think they will filter the fine stuff as well.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Okay, I'm confused. The OP was "Skimmer Nets" but I believe all the answers were for skimmer socks.

I started using skimmer socks and do love them. I also use skimmer nets, which, to me are those things that look like a tennis racket that you use to skim the surface of your water for floating debris.

Buggs,
I had the same reaction as you. I thought a skimmer net was the thing on the end of a pole that you skimmed the surface of your pool with. Skimmer socks are what you place on your skimmer basket to "pre-filter" your filter.

engteach43 said:
New pool owner here. What is the best way to put the knee highs/skimmer sock on the skimmer basket? Do you just pull it over the basket from the bottom and should you not let it go over the top/opening of the basket? Thanks.

NO!

Do not do that, I did that with a skimmer sock, not knowing what I was doing.

Went out the next morning, checked on the skimmer basket, and the sock was gone! Realized what had happened, and ran in and checked on the pump. Bingo, there was the sock, sitting in the pump strainer basket. Luckily, enough water got by still so that nothing bad happened :)

You want your skimmer sock/knee highs on the INSIDE of the skimmer basket, hooking the edges over the rim.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.