Crackling noise in my Hayward model S244T multiport valve

Apr 17, 2012
I have a crackling type sound (maybe air) coming from the return/discharge port on the multiport valve (SP714). I have cleaned 3 times, replaced the glued in gasket, examined o rings, closed off valves, re-aligned the valve. Etc. it still makes a crackling noise like a pebble is in there. I replaced the sand a while back but it did it before then. The gasket stopped the backwash leak.

I recently upgraded to a 1.5hp motor from a 1hp pump and motor and it got louder so I'm thinking the sand filter cannot handle the GPM. The motor is a Pentair Superflo constant. It did it with the 1hp but not as loud. It would sometimes stop with 1hp.

The pool is around 35000 gallons, two skimmers and bottom drain with five return jets. The fittings around the pump and filter are 1 1/2. No bubbles in return jets nor in the basket. No water leaks.

I can deal with noise, just didn't want to burn up pump.

Any suggestions? Thanks Jed

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.