NEWBIE! Just cleaned up. Only a little chlorine put in... Overwhelmed.

Seal

Jun 10, 2015
Holland, Michigan
Read everything. Makes sense when I read it BUT then I don't know where to start.
Finally got vacuuming done (lots of leaves and misc ick). Pool blue but cloudy. Can see bottom of deep end barely!
Got test kit K-2006.
Results were: at 71 degrees
FC 3.6
TA 100
CYA 30
pH 7.3
CH 100
CC 0.4
Ran through calculator. Now what? Freeze up and don't know what to do next. Been running filter almost non-stop. Using filter sock. Getting greenish "fuzzy" stuff but less and less every day. How do I get started? Never got pool clear last year. Pool store chemicals broke the bank but never cleared pool. Already better than last year but... Now what? HELP me get trouble free without pool store!

23K gal, AG, vinyl, sand-Doughboy Media Master (0-1701-016) with fresh sand, new this year pump White River 1 HP (model B91190, pool circa 1975 (new walls 1990, new liner 2010), Taylor Tec K2006, city water.

Welcome to the forum. :wave:

You are better off than you think. You did a lot of right things and all you need to do is finish up.

SLAM the Pool. There is an article in pool school to tell you how. Follow it precisely.

Your numbers are perfect going into the SLAM......your first step will be to add chlorine up to about 16 ppm. Use PoolMath to calc the dosage....if your not familiar with it ask for help.

Now, hold your chlorine up high like that by testing about 2-3 times daily and always adding more chlorine after each test.....enough to get you back to your SLAM value.

Follow the remaining directions and based on your description, I think you will have a sparkling pool in just a day or two......Run the pump 24/7 Brush, vacuum backwash/......do everything it says in the article and your water will be stunning.

Hi!
Finally onto slamming pool. Weather got bad and slowed me up a bit. I had trouble getting chlorine needed. Went to Lowe's and got Clorox Pro Results Outdoor Bleach. Trouble is no where can I find % chlorine it contains. Finally on National Institute of Health website I found it can be 8-15%. Well, that does not really help much when trying to know how much to add.
First night FC=12 and CYA=30. I added sticks I had til I picked up bleach to start to try and get SLAM level of FC = 16.
4 hours later FC = 20 and CC 2.0 not sure why I did not check CYA that time.
4 hours after that FC = 12 CC = 2.0 CYA =50. Clearly not improving situation. Have to get bleach tonight!
Last night I added 240 ozs of bleach ( not sure why I didn't get starting data - too tired from discussion of Bleach concentrations al Lowe's).
This morning FC = 19, CYA = 40, CC=1. FC was above 16 for SLAMMING. Did not add more bleach. Debated about adding some but waited.
Tonight FC = 9! CC= 0.5. CYA = 60. Going backwards! Low FC and CYA climbing despite stopping sticks. Was there a delayed CYA increase from the sticks?
Sooo... Per slamming rules I now need to raise FC to 24 because of higher CYA. I used the calculator and said bleach was ~10%. I added 360 ozs of bleach trying to raise FC level of 24!!!!
Pump has been running almost 24/7. Will get chance to vacuum tomorrow. Did look a little clearer this morning. I could see bottom of deep end (it needs vacuuming!). Really not a lot of sediment so shouldn't take long. Skimmer has less and less of green fuzzys. Hardly any after all day.
So hopefully by morning the chlorine will be up, CYA will back down and water will start to sparkle. At least I'll have a few days to test more often and vacuum. AAAARRRRGGGGHHH
Keep your fingers crossed. Feel free to tell me if I should be doing something else. Need to get SLAMMING seriously.
Appreciate your tips and knowledge.
Thanks,
Seal

For now use your latest CYA for determing your shock level target. A little higher won't hurt. Retest CYA in a week; no sooner, and recalculate as necessary.

Brush a ton and while FC is high, get into every crevice you can find with your brush... Even a toothbrush. Pull out ladders, check behind light niches, everything.

Best wishes!

Last edited:
CYA does take a while to register, otherwise CYA doesn't raise, so you are seeing the residual of the sticks.

The more often you can check your FC and keep it at SLAM level, the better. It will speed the process.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This morning FC = 22 and CYA = 40. So I just should try to keep FC at 24 assuming the CYA is 60? I should just try to keep slamming with FC at 24? Then just vacuum and brush a lot ! I may have to take stairs out again if that's where there may be an issue! Ugghhhh! You say with a toothbrush even. Do you get in pool with FC levels that high? Because I would need to be in it to do around stairs etc.
Did not order xl option for test kit. Reordered last night. Almost out of what I need to test CYA. Must be a sign to not check it!:rolleyes:
Pool seemed a little less cloudy this morning. Maybe even a teeny bit sparkly. It'll be cloudy again after vacuuming etc but I think I see signs this is working. Will need more bleach. I had bought 9 bottles of Chlorox outdoor bleach and have used 6! Still way cheaper than pool store chemicals even with test kit. May get a little DE for sand filter to speed things up a bit or so I read.
Thanks for advice. I need to get a plan and stick to it. This makes sense. Stop chasing CYA currently. Nothing being added to make it keep climbing. Morning numbers confirm that. Focus on FC = 24 and vacuum/brush like crazy. Glad I am finally home a few days to be able to check a couple more times a day and get vacuuming done. May have to add water from all back washing. That would lower CYA a little too.
Trying to wrap my head around it all. One thing at a time. Finish SLAMMING!
Thanks for advice!

I had a problem with my SWG and had to manually add bleach and ran into the same issue of % not being listed. I googled the brand and went to their website and the % was listed there. If you run into that problem again, try that.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Chlorox website acts like it is a State Secret! Even MSDS sheets didn't list percentages. I know what to do for a spill or if I get it in my eye but no percentages. Noticed Taylor had a kit to check chlorine percentage. Good Grief!
going to check out other brands today and shop around a little. Lowe's was a late evening last ditch effort to get this going. Thanks for info.

Hopefully this works:

https://www.thecloroxcompany.com/downloads/msds/bleach/cloroxregular-bleach12015-06-12.pdf

https://www.thecloroxcompany.com/downloads/msds/bleach/cloroxoutdoorbleachjw2014-08-24.pdf

- - - Updated - - -

Clorox Outdoor Bleach lists the following:

Water
Sodium Hypochlorite
Sodium Chloride
Cetyl Betaine
Sodium Carbonate
Sodium Hydroxide
Sodium Silicate
Sodium Xylene Sulfonate

Clorox Regular lists:
Water
Sodium Hypochlorite
Sodium Chloride
Sodium Carbonate
Sodium Chlorate
Sodium Hydroxide
Sodium Polyacrylate

- - - Updated - - -

Hopefully ChemGeek might weigh in here...

Have you checked Walmart for their store brand bleach? Just check each bottle and make sure you're grabbing 8.25%. I incidentally grabbed a mixture of some 6% stuff they had mixed together. They run about $2.94 for 121oz just shy of 1 gallon.

Your numbers actually look great otherwise, once your slam is done your pool will be about perfect! Also, for most intents and purposes checking FC with the 10 mL sample is fine just remember to use .5 in your calc instead of .2. You won't go through your Taylor testing chemicals as quickly. Plus, 1 scoop works fine too. Regardless, have the XL option on standby and get the big CYA reagent bottle too. That k-2006 comes shipped with much smaller ratios of reagents than the tf-100.

Remember to post your before and after pics!

I second checking Walmart for the GV brand bleach. If Ollie's didn't have such a great deal on their 12.5% that's where I would be getting mine.

Also I looked at your location and I see there is an aldi's in your area. (I think lol). But I recall someone saying they had REAL good prices on 6% bleach. Like a $1 for 96 oz's

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.