Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: This Was Supposed to be Easy

  1. Back To Top    #1

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    86

    This Was Supposed to be Easy

    My multiport valve (probably as Pentair SM10-2D.E., but the label has long since fell off) is leaking to waste a bit. Reading on the forums I saw that replacing the spider gasket is fairly simple.

    I removed the six bolts holding the valve together without too much trouble. Getting the halves apart was a bit of effort -- it looks like I need to replace the cover o-ring as well. The spider gasket is visible and half black-half white. It looks like part has horribly bleached and I'm not surprised it's leaking.

    The problem is I can't get the old gasket out. It is firmly stuck into the valve body. I can lift up a few small sections with great effort, but the majority of it won't budge. I'm pulling so hard, I'm afraid I'm going to rip it into pieces. (I'd really like the gasket whole to measure for a new one.)

    Is there a trick to getting these gaskets out in one piece?
    11x27 in ground, vinyl pool
    ~12,500 gal
    PAC FAB (Pentair) Pinnacle 3/4 hp pump
    Pentair 24 sq ft DE filter
    One skimmer, one return (no main drain)

  2. Back To Top    #2
    gtm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    St. Petersburg, Florida
    Posts
    201

    Re: This Was Supposed to be Easy

    There have been some other posts here saying that sometimes the spider gasket is glued in place. I remember one post in particular that had a diagram showing where "superglue" was applied. I have no idea if that's the case with yours, but if it is, then it seems unlikely that you'll get it out in one piece ... Gary
    15,000 gal. IG fiberglass pool w/ 1 hp Hayward Max-Flo and 250 lb. Hayward sand filter
    Located in St. Petersburg, Florida, and enclosed in a birdcage

  3. Back To Top    #3
    spishex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Hillsborough, NC
    Posts
    1,375

    Re: This Was Supposed to be Easy

    It takes some patience, but it will come out. Start by running something (razor, knife, sharp flathead) along the edges of the gasket to be sure it's free from the sides, and then start taking out chunks. Careful not to damage the track.

  4. Back To Top    #4

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    86

    Update

    With some difficultly I was able to measure the gasket in place. Based on the size and spoke pattern, I narrowed the options down to three listed at http://www.poolpartsonline.com/. The support person there was able to say which of the three was correct from how the valve was labeled.

    After reading the suggestions here, I used a blade and a small screwdriver to remove the old gasket. I slid the screwdriver under the part of the gasket I could lift and used it to carefully pry the rest up. It did look glued down. But came out in one very stretched out piece. Cleaning out the remaining pieces of gasket, etc. from the race took some time. The new gasket fit perfectly.

    I won't be able to test until spring, but the valve looks great. Thanks everyone for your help.
    11x27 in ground, vinyl pool
    ~12,500 gal
    PAC FAB (Pentair) Pinnacle 3/4 hp pump
    Pentair 24 sq ft DE filter
    One skimmer, one return (no main drain)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •