New to pools, have a 12' x 30", basic maintenance questions

Jun 14, 2015
Warner Robins
I recently got a 12' x 30" pool for my kids to enjoy (I have twin 2 year olds) and have a few questions.
1) From what I have read it looks like I need to shock the pool weekly & when a major event like rain happens. Is this correct maintenance?
2) The area I live has hard water so I thin I will need pH booster, how do I equate the amount per gallons for such a small pool.
3) The pump that came with it has a filter that can hold 1" chlorine tablets, how long does the pump need to run daily?

Would going to a local pool supply store with asample be my best option or should I try myself first?

Thus far I have had the pool filled for a couple of days & have shocked it once and put a chlorine tablet in the pump running for about 8 hours. Levels look good other than low pH.

Any other advice is appreciated.

Never shock unless you have to.

But a good test kit, so you'll know if you have to shock it. TF-100 is a good kit.

Pool School and other sections will guide you through.

What is a pool store? Test your own water, if you frequent this site you'll be better at it anyway.

As others have said, read the pool school section - but quick answers

1) From what I have read it looks like I need to shock the pool weekly & when a major event like rain happens. Is this correct maintenance?

No, you need to shock when your tests indicate it is necessary. In the last 3 years, I have shocked my pool a grand total 3 times - when I open it. I do almost nothing all season except add bleach. If you understand the chemistry and don't keep adding things you do not need to the water, then there is no need to shock on a schedule.

2) The area I live has hard water so I thin I will need pH booster, how do I equate the amount per gallons for such a small pool.

I have very hard water here, but that means nothing. What you need to do is check your pH with YOUR test kit, and then if necessary add something to adjust it. Don't go buying "boosters" or other expensive stuff in pretty plastic packages. Borax from the laundry aisle of your grocery store will raise pH and dry acid will lower it (this you need to get from a pool store - but plain old dry acid - not "pH down with conditioner and algaecide + clarifier" or whatever else they sell you.

3) The pump that came with it has a filter that can hold 1" chlorine tablets, how long does the pump need to run daily?

No need to for the tabs - you will learn in pool school how they continue to add CYA to your pool. As for your pump, that depends. the old school rule of thumb was to run it enough to cycle the volume of water in your pool. That thought is no longer valid. The answer is, you run it enough to keep your pool clean. How long depends on the size of your pool, the size of your pump, the efficiency of your filer, and how dirty your pool gets. I run mine 4 hours a day, just as an idea.

Would going to a local pool supply store with asample be my best option or should I try myself first?

Nope - get a good test kit, read the info on this site, and do it yourself, and UNDERSATND what you are looking at. Really, once you get the knowledge, it is really very easy.

Thanks

Thus far I have had the pool filled for a couple of days & have shocked it once and put a chlorine tablet in the pump running for about 8 hours. Levels look good other than low pH.

Any other advice is appreciated.

Hello Thrasher and welcome! :wave: You got a few good replies already, so I'll make my contributions short & sweet:
Priority #1 - The proper test kit is everything. Why? Because we've all learned (from personal experience) you cannot reply on pool store tests, test strips, or simple over-the-counter kits. They don't read Free Chlorine (FC) or Cyanuric Acid (CYA) levels accurately or to the high levels we need.

- The TFPC method does not simply "shock" or "super-chlorinate" a pool as typically advised by the local pool store. We do what's called "SLAM" only when needed (i.e. green pool). SLAM is significantly different than an overnight “spike” in chlorine, and can take a few days (perhaps even a week or two) to properly complete. The recommended test kit is extremely important to properly conduct a SLAM.
- Hard water would effect CH (Calcium Hardness); PH is a bit different and must be within range to be comfortable for the swimmers (i.e. eyes, skin, etc)
- Chlorine tablets are a "no-no" here in TFP except for atypical situations (i.e. vacation). They cause adverse effects on your pool that may require draining later. Stick with liquid bleach as your chlorine agent.

We cannot over-emphasize enough the proper test kit (link below). Once received, you can post some test results on this forum and many views will be happy to guide you. Below in my sig are a few other links that are extremely valuable to you and your pool. Let us know if you have any other questions. Once gain - welcome!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.