New to slam and tfp

Jun 8, 2015
berkley
I have started a SLAM and I don't feel comfortable leaving my filter on all night. I am using a sock and it needs to be changed out about every 2 hours or so. I am afraid if I remove the sock and leave the filter going, it will clog the filter and need to be bumped, but since I will be sleeping, it will put strain on pump. I started this last night and here is what I have done:

My goal FC according to chart is 15

9.6 @11:45 last night-added bleach to bring up FC
8 @ 7 this morning-added bleach
13.2 @ 9-added bleach
14.8 @10:30-ditto

It is just a sock you put line the skimmer basket with so the smaller stuff doesn't get to the filter, but it needs cleaning quite often.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately I have to work during the day too. Would it make sense to shut it off tonight, have my husband turn it on in the morning, because he gets up earlier ( 4:30 ugh!). And then when I get up at 6:30 I can test and maybe double up on the bleach and run filter till I leave at 8:45? Then when I return from work at about 6:30 I can test again and run filter till bed?

It is just a sock you put line the skimmer basket with so the smaller stuff doesn't get to the filter, but it needs cleaning quite often.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately I have to work during the day too. Would it make sense to shut it off tonight, have my husband turn it on in the morning, because he gets up earlier ( 4:30 ugh!). And then when I get up at 6:30 I can test and maybe double up on the bleach and run filter till I leave at 8:45? Then when I return from work at about 6:30 I can test again and run filter till bed?
You do the best you can do. Don't double up on bleach, you might bleach out the liner. If it calls for 1.85 jugs of bleach or something, go ahead and empty it, but don't overload it.

I hit enter by accident. Here are the rest of my readings and times.
15.2 @ 1:00
15.2 @ 2:30
13.6@6:30
14.6 @ 8:00

I also have my automatic chlorinator going

When you say that you have the automatic chlorinator going, does that mean that you're using tablets also? I ask because I have the same thing but I read on this forum that you should shut it off when SLAMing because the tablets will raise CYA and throw your numbers off.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok, I will shut it off. I tested this morning before work but I did not write that down. I know I put a little extra bleach in because I was going to be gone all day and pump would not be running. When I got home at about 7:00 my FC was 12.2. I added bleach to bring up. When I tested at 9:00 my FC was 15.6. I did not add any bleach. At 11:00 my FC was 16.6? I am thinking either the chlorinator did that or because the pool pump was off all day and now on maybe chlorine was circulated more? I pull my samples from the same spot all the time on the opposite side of the return valve. Anyway, I am done for the night and have shut the pump off again. I am going to try not adding anymore bleach for tonight and see what my readings are in the morning.

This morning my FC is 14.2. I have added bleach and will test tonight when I get home. Sunday evening thru yesterday morning, the skimmer sock had thick film of greenish stuff on it. Last night with pump running, much less stuff and not at all green. I am taking that as a good sign.

That is a very good sign! Your bleach is doing a good job killing the yucky!

Can you please take the puck out instead of just turning it off. You can dry it out and reuse it when you have a weekend get away. You do not want any more CYA in your pool and some might still make it out if there is a puck in the tube.

Kim

Ok, I took it out. My readings were as follows: 13.6 @ 6:30 pm and 12.6 @ 8:45 pm. I will test one more time before I call it a night. Are these readings not too bad considering it is going all day without pump running, and only about 4 or 5 hours of pump time before going all night without pump also?

I am getting out of work a little earlier tomorrow so I was thinking: I am going to backwash the filter and try removing the sock since it has been pretty clean lately, and run the pump all night. Does that sound like a plan?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.