el duderino

Jun 15, 2008
Austin, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
My pool builder is letting me decide between the Haywared (Goldline) PS8 and the minimum intellitouch i7 controls. The former (Hayward) is more or less all the bells and whistles (wireless, aquapod remote) and the Pentair is bare bones (1 wired controller and 1 wired spa side). This option (Intellitouch) will cost us an additional $500.

They feel the Goldline is a better choice for us as we don't need some of the advanced features and it has 2 more relays than the intellitouch, but have warned that service is poor in our area for Hayward.

I never see much info on this stuff and our last pool was Jandy automation(not an option), so this is uncharted territory.

As I understand it, the Goldline is easy to use and has some good features, but is very proprietary and if you lose your programs you have to start over. The intellitouch is an actual computer and has more robust features.

Is the Intellitouch worth the extra $500?

I've installed and serviced both. I find the Intellitouch easier to navigate and support, but I prefer the Goldline SWG to the Intellichlor just because of cost of replacement and the inability to fine tune the output on the Intellichlor without automation.

If money is no object, I think you'll be happier in the long run with the Intellitouch. It's a more robust system and the support from Pentair is great.

spishex said:
If money is no object, I think you'll be happier in the long run with the Intellitouch. It's a more robust system and the support from Pentair is great.

LOL. I wish.

For where we are total to date, $500 doesn't seem like much, but the continuous nickel and dime (with a few extra zeros) additions are starting to get the best of me.

Pool builder is really pushing Aqualogic, but the cynic in my guesses there might be more margin in it, and part of me just doesn't really care. The aquapod seems like it might be cool and the ability to add controllers is much cheaper with the Hayward.

However, I hear nothing but good things about the Intellitouch. I think the i7 might be an issue though, since I seem to recall that we would need all 8 relays, but I'm sure I could be wrong there.

Does $500 to upgrade from PS8 to Intellitouch i7 seem right?

Relays, how we need thee. Let us count the ways:

1. Filter Pump (2 spd relay)
2. Spa Jets
3. Negative Edge
4. Polaris Booster Pump
5. Pool Light
6. Spa Light

The heater is controlled by a separate low voltage option, as are any valve actuators. The chlorinator is powered from the pump relay.

Anything else?

$500 is in the right neighborhood. With the cell and everything else that's pretty close to the wholesale difference.

spishex said:
Relays, how we need thee. Let us count the ways:

1. Filter Pump (2 spd relay)
2. Spa Jets
3. Negative Edge
4. Polaris Booster Pump
5. Pool Light
6. Spa Light

The heater is controlled by a separate low voltage option, as are any valve actuators. The chlorinator is powered from the pump relay.

Anything else?

7. Water Feature (Scuppers)
8. Landscape Lighting
9. ???Future???

We need 4 actuators, which as I understand it gets tough with the EasyTouch. So, I guess I'm getting back to my original question: is it worth $500 to have the additional features (most of which I won't need now, but possibly in the future) over the Aqualogic, which my PB's seem to think will do the necessary job well.

Well, if you're gonna need 4 actuators and 9 relays you're going to need to get the i9 or i10+3 rather than the i7. The intellitouch can handle 4 actuators (suction, return, aux 1, aux 2), and if you get the +3 model you can add a module that will control 3 more actuators. The i9 and 10 also allow for an additional relay center to be added.

The Goldline will do the job just fine. The PB might have a hidden agenda (maybe he has a few in inventory already), but he probably is just more familiar with it. You'll be maxing it out, but it will do the trick.

I think if you spend the extra $500 (might have to add another $100 or 2 for the i9 or 10) now and allow it to 'disappear' into the overall cost of the build you'll be happier than if you decide you need more later and have to spend a few grand to replace the whole unit. If the odds are good that you will add more components, home automation, touch screens, wireless communication, etc. then I'd upgrade. If you just want something that works that you will never touch again except to service or maintain, may as well save the dough.

spishex,

Thanks. I think you sum it up pretty good. I need to determine how important this is and if it's worth the money. Like I said, $500 doesn't seem like a lot, but the $500/$1,000 adds start to pile up quickly.

I'm thinking I might just save the dough and move on.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.