Bought replacement pump, is it too big?

Jul 17, 2013
Ottawa,ON, Canada
I have an 18 foot above ground pool about 4.5' deep and my jacuzzi pump went last year after 20years of operation. So I went to the pool store and he sold me a hayward pump. Now I don't remember the specs of the pump but it creates a strong current around the pool. Is this normal behavior? I don't recall my old pump doing the same.

IMO, I'd take the pump back and go for a lower HP (0.5 to 0.75 HP as Dave said), 2 speed pump. It will save you money on operating costs and you won't have to worry about the flow creating white caps. Bad pool store advice on pump sizing.

If your pool store only carries Hayward, this one might be a good option. Single speed, but lower HP. Power-Flo Matrix | Pumps | Above Ground Pool Pumps - Hayward Pool Products This pump only comes in a 2 speed at 1 HP, also another option: Power-Flo Matrix | Pumps | Above Ground Pool Pumps - Hayward Pool Products

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.