Total Dynamic Head - Hayward Ecostar

trbvm

Jun 8, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
Putting in a new pool and getting myself educated on the finer aspects of maintenance, chemistry, etc!
I read somewhere that there is a formula to calculate the number of hours to run a pump to ensure 2 full circulations, but it took the Total Dynamic Head of the setup into consideration.

Now, I think I have to buy two gauges - One pressure and one vacuum.
I was wondering if someone can help me figure out how to measure the TDH on a Hayward Costar pump (EcoStar | Pumps | In Ground Pool Pumps - Hayward Pool Products) and where should I have these gauges put in.

We are just finishing plumbing and I want to see if I can add these gauges permanently to the setup.

EDIT:
After reading, I am thinking of putting in a FlowVis FlowMeter, rather than mess around with Gauges...
Question: Can I install a FlowVis Flow Meter AFTER the pump as shown below? Will that give me an accurate measure of the total 'flow' to help me calculate pool pump run duration?

QFNI3A1.jpg

We do not recommend any sort of total turnovers. Usually only a few hours of pump time is needed whether on low or high speed. See: Determine Pump Run Time

Further, there is no point in trying to figure out total head or the flow rate as shown by the link above.

If you want a FlowVis that location would be fine to see total flow, but it would be adding unnecessary head loss and those lowering your flow rate. I just put a FlowVis in a location where I needed a check valve anyway.

Based on your signature, a few comments:
1. Are you using the ORP part of the Sense & Dispense? We do not recommend it
2. We also do not recommend UV systems in outdoor residential pools ... especially in AZ where you get plenty of UV from the sun already
3. We also do not recommend Ozone systems in outdoor residential pools

Sorry if these have been brought up before ... you could add a line in your signature stating you understand these are not typically recommended to stop us hounding you ;)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.