Cannot increase My FC!

I recently joined after reading many, many posts about proper pool care. I own an 8 year old 31,000 gallon gunite SWG pool. I purchased a Taylor K-2006 to check the water and have tested frequently. I'm trying to figure out if my SWG needs to be replaced or not. These are my results from testing today:
FC 0.4ppm
CC 0
PH 7.4
TA 80ppm
CH 300ppm
CYA 85ppm
Salt 3400
The water is perfectly clear, blue and no signs of algae. My FC reading was the same yesterday and after 2 - 121oz bottles of 8% liquid bleach were added my FC is still the same today. I don't know if it's my SWG going bad or not. Any advice or help?!?!

Since this is your first post, Welcome to TFP!

The first step would be to see if you have anything consuming your FC. Clear water can be misleading, an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test will help determine if you are experiencing an abnormal chlorine demand that would need to be fixed before you can properly diagnose your SWG. Raise your FC up, preferably to SLAM level, and follow these instructions: Pool School - Perform the Overnight FC Loss Test (OCLT)

If you pass, then the next step is to take a look at your SWG. If you fail you will want to SLAM the pool first.

Yep, last week my pool was crystal clear. Saturday my FC was 1.5 and I spotted some algae, water was still crystal clear. Brushed a bunch, raised FC with bleach and water is still crystal clear today.

Higher chlorine consumption is the first sign of algae, then you see a little, then the filter clogs a little faster, then the water bets cloudy in the deep end, then it gets cloudy everywhere and then it turns green.

Yes. You add, wait 30-45 minutes so it mixes in well, then test. It is important that the sun is down and the SWG is turned off. Measure again before the sun comes up.

Personally, I recommend a FC level of 10 though. I have found that it is way easier to have a discrepancy with your test results at very high FC levels. The drops not being the exact same size etc. You can test back to back and sometimes get readings that are 2-3 off of each other.

Regardless, I have a feeling your results are going to be quite a difference based on what you said so far.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.