New Steps

pepsiholic

LifeTime Supporter
May 23, 2009
Fairmont, WV
Hi everyone! I just ordered my very first set of steps for my pool. I have always just used the ladder mounted to the deck, but knee problems are making it more difficult. I ordered the Confer Curve base set. They seemed to have very good reviews. My question would be: Do any of you have these and how do you like them? It says to fill with 50 lbs of sand. Will this make them too heavy to get in and out of the pool or should me and my 20 yr old daughter be able to handle it? Any ideas or suggestions will be appreciated. I always get the best advice from everyone here!:lovetfp:

I have the Confer ladder with the gate and I have the set with the curved steps that you can put a light in. I put both sets in, multiple times by myself, so, you and your daughter will be fine. Both of you outside the pool and you lift them and balance them on the top rail. Then, one of you can get in and guide them down into the pool. They tend to float so the person in the pool will have to do a little work to get them to stay down. Whatever you plan to weigh them down with should be in the pool so that it can be put into place immediately. I used plastic coated weights and a brick covered in plastic. Some people use bleach bottles filled with pebbles, sand, etc. Regardless, the curved steps are going to require some kind of weight to keep them from floating.

I do not like the "wrapped" in plastic because there are just too many curves, bends, overlaps for yucky stuff to hide in.

The plastic bottles filled with cement work great. Just attach them using zip ties you can cut when you want to take the steps out.

Some people make "weights using PVC and cement. Again attach using zip ties.

The bad of sand is not a good idea. After a while the bag will deteriorate and you have a mess on your hands.

Get a turkey baster so you can "shoot" some bleach inside them every other day or so to keep them clean.

Kim

I have wedding cake steps and use plastic covered weights from a weight lifting set. They are leaking of bit of Crete or whatever is used inside them, but it's been a few years and I haven't had any issues. I was using more, but this year in going with 75 pounds.

I have not had any issues with algae in the plastic but, it was not intended as a permanent solution. It works and I have left it alone because, well, I am lazy. Lol

Yep, I've been around since my conversion from Baquacil to chlorine. And I've learned so much along the way thanks to the great people on this forum. I was wondering about the steps because some people said they floated and some people said they didn't, but thanks to this crew, I can channel my inner MacGuyver (as long as I don't use bubblegum and duct tape)

LOL but you have been here at TFP how long???????????? You know what to do to keep problems from happening!

I am sure the OP will not have any problems as they have been here for a while also!

Kim

I have been around for a few years and I finally get to enjoy my pool. I am very glad I stuck around and read everything until it all finally made sense.

Hey Pepsiholic, Welcome back for another trouble free season.

I filled my steps with sand and regretted it. It still floated and it took 3 of us to take them out of the pool at the end of the season n those steps hit the ground and my steps fell apart with such force! The next year, my gf and I drilled holes in the bottom, ran a garden hose in one hole n,forced the sand out the other. I'm so glad we did it! Now, I hold my steps down with bleach bottles n bungie cords.

I have the green cords holding my jugs in place. The blue cords on the top handle bar at the base of the steps clips on the top rail of the pool to keep them in place. I absolutely love this set up because Its so easy to move them n clean under them.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We just put these same steps in. We filled with sand (and regret, as Casey said) and those suckers are heavy with the sand in them. And still float. We now have a bunch of bleach bottles filled with sand to keep them weighted down as well. We were just discussing how to best attach the bottles, and I'm going to try Casey's method above (thanks! Going to get the bungies this morning!). So, if you don't fill the steps with sand you should be fine getting them out. Prep your bottles/weights in advance and you will be happy!

(Stairs are fantastic by the way, we love them. Glad we got them, and they are great for the kids to sit on as well).

I have different steps - but as far as weights are concerned. I filled my weigh containers with pea gravel. If they break open, it is a lot easer to clean up than sand. Also the space between the individual grains lets me fill the container with a strong beach/water mix, which helps eliminate anything from growing inside.

I guess filling them with cement would do the same thing, but pea gravel was a lot easier.

-dave

I bought the bungies with plastic ends at Wal-Mart pigeon. I have to replace them every year.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.