Advanced Search

AV8TOR

Dec 6, 2008
Fort Worth TX
I am trying to search a phrase of words and can’t seem to do it.

The FAQ says, “Advanced search can be accessed by clicking the “Advance Search” link which is available on all pages on the forum”. I do not see any advanced search only search and it does not have an “exact phrase” option that I am used to on other forums.

If you put the phrase in quotes and use the Google search you can search for the exact phrase. Quotes do not return the exact phrase when used in the default search, which only seem to search for any of the keywords you enter.

Quotes don't work. I have tried several searches, the latest was "solar cover" 987 hit and all either or the other but not a refined search. So what is the FAQ saying when it refers to the Advanced Search then?
What is a phpbb forum? I visit no less than 5 forums a day and all (except this one) have an advanced search or a line to add search for exact phrase.
About your Google comment, are you saying that I need to search Google to find things inside this forum?

AV8TOR said:
Quotes don't work. I have tried several searches, the latest was "solar cover" 987 hit and all either or the other but not a refined search. So what is the FAQ saying when it refers to the Advanced Search then?
What is a phpbb forum? I visit no less than 5 forums a day and all (except this one) have an advanced search or a line to add search for exact phrase.
About your Google comment, are you saying that I need to search Google to find things inside this forum?

See waterbear's reply above about the quotes.

To your other questions, I'm saying that by adding the Google site search feature, I have provided an additional option for you to improve your experience on this free forum - you can use it or not, at your preference.

Php is the scripting language that the forum or bulletin board (bb) is written in. Phpbb is a very common format, but not as popular as vBulletin, which is likely what you are accustomed to with other forums. The feature sets are similar in a lot of ways, but there are also features that vB has that phpbb does not and visa versa. It's not practical to try and make them identical.

The FAQ is a default function of the site and was not written by me. Presumably, the author considered this search feature to be "advanced" compared to previous versions in that it is customizable - maybe just in the way you are accustomed to.

This is one of those situations where I have tried to make the site user friendly within the ability of the software and what I am able to do; however, as in all things, you can't please everyone.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.