Cloudy Pool (can see the shallow end)

May 24, 2015
Muncy, PA
I needs some major help. I can see the bottom of the shallow end if no one has been swimming for a day or two, I have never been able to see the bottom of the deep end. We had some CYA issues last year and dumped half of the pool water then refilled it from our well. Below are my current readings from this morning.

FC = 0
TC = 0.5
CYA = 55
PH = 7.2
TA = 150
CH = 0
Saturation Index = -1.5

I tried shocking the pool (we only use bleach) at the end of May but the pool pump broke and it took a week to get the replacement in. I have been running my pump 24/7 since I took the cover off with the exception being the week of the broken pump and the water is still cloudy. The pool is 18 X 36, the pool store estimated it was 33,800 gallons but I wonder if our gallon size is off and if that is throwing things off. The deep end is 9 feet deep and the pool slants deep pretty quickly. There are two drains, one at the bottom of the deep end and a skimmer drain. I have run the kreepy crawly off and on for weeks. I still see what looks like sediment collecting on the stairs in the shallow end. We are using a cartridge filter. Any suggestions on what I should try next.

Well, it's no good when you can't see the deep end. :) We need to get that fixed. As Jason said, you appear to be a good candidate for a SLAM. He listed the link for that and the Chlorine/CYA chart, and it's in my sig as well. You need to reference the chart and match a new FC SLAM level to a CYA of 60 (rounded up from 55). Part of your problem may be that your FC was 0. That's a breeding ground for algae. It should never be below the "Minimum FC" required on that chart.

Also, since you are on a well, after the SLAM, if the water has any other unusual appearance let us know as that may be an indication of some metal in your water source. Just a thought. But definitely start with the SLAM now. Good luck.

- - - Updated - - -

When you SLAM, we can't emphasize enough .... MAINTAIN that FC level. DO not let it drop until you pass the 3 SLAM criteria.

When SLAMMING, it's helpful to post pictures and regular test kit numbers so we can cheer you on and answer any questions. Always take the picture from the same location in the pool. It will show your progress.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am pretty good at figuring out pool gallonage. What is your shallow end depth? Is there a flat spot on the shallow end before it starts to go deeper? How far from the shallow end does it flatten off to the max depth? Or is it just an even slant from one end the the other?

Good luck with your SLAM. The most important part is to maintain, and not quit until all 3 criteria are met.

Hit a snag already. I added 1536 ounces of clorox bleach around 2 pm this afternoon. I just took a test of the water at 8pm tonight showed NO FC! My CYA tested at 55, could my be chlorine reagent be bad? It was working a month ago but recently it take a lot to show any change in the water color. Or could it be the CYA reagent being off? Any thoughts? Below is a link to a pool picture.

http://i1066.photobucket.com/albums/u416/tpowell09/2015-06-14 20.05.49_zpsdak85tns.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Scuba_Steve,

The shallow end is 8 feet by 18 by 3 then the drop off begins.

- - - Updated - - -

Scuba_Steve,

The shallow end is 8 feet by 18 by 3 then the drop off begins.

Ok, my math says it is 25852.67g. That is with a pool that is 36ft long. First 8 feet it stays at 3' deep. Then for the next 28 feet it slopes linear from 3' to 9'. 18' wide, rectangle.

If it instead was 8' @ 3' deep, then 20' going from 3' to 9' deep, then 8' @ 9' deep then it would be closer to your estimated gallonage. 29084.25g

tpowell09-welcome to the forum.
The experts here will give great advice AND it will get your pool looking fabulous when you follow their advice.
The FC levels during a SLAM need to be tested numerous times in order to maintain the SLAM FC levels recommended by Pool Math. So...test the FC every one or two hours during the SLAM since your pool pic definitely shows you have a problem, something eating your chlorine. Maybe there is something in the cloudy deep end that is using up the chlorine quickly. Keep up the SLAM, which will take several days at least and you will start to see the water clear up.
And keep posting the numbers. The Mods love the numbers. :)
Also you will need some POP (pool owner patience). And depending on whether you are like me, you will need a lot of POP. :D

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
At 10am I dumped another 12 bottles of clorox into the pool. I am using a K-2006 test kit. When I added the two dippers to the 10ml sample it didn't turn pink indicating no FC. Frustrated I walked away from it and let the sample sit, about an hour later the sample was red. I completed the rest of the test and got a FC reading of 4. Now my question is should the reagent take that long to turn red? It used to do it immediately, is my reagent bad? I ordered more but I am an sure how to complete the SLAM until this comes in. Should I keep dumping in clorox?

You can test your FAS-DPD reagents by adding a teaspoon of bleach to 5 gallons of tap water. Should register between 20-30ppm. That is really a guesstimate though, but the point is, it will measure some FC.

Usually when FC goes to 0 quickly, it means you have ammonia. You are not showing any other signs though. No real cc and you have CYA.

I would keep adding bleach. Regardless of what is going on, adding bleach will take care of it eventually. I would add and test in 30-60 minutes, then add again. Keep beating it, and eventually it will be dead! The more time you wait in between, the more it has a chance to recover.

Edit: BTW, I believe the CYA reagent is the least likely reagent to go bad. I wouldn't worry about that.

I just took a reading at 930 pm I show FC at 4.5 and CC at 2.5, I had dumped in 1792 ounces of bleach at 830 pm. I completely out of bleach at the moment so I will have to buy more tomorrow. I have gone through 38 gallons in the last two days. Any idea on how many I should buy for this project?

Just for kicks, When you go to the store tomorrow for more bleach, take a water sample to an aquarium store, petco, petsmart, etc... Ask them to test it for ammonia.

In the end, the result will be the same though, regardless of what is eating your bleach as fast as you can put it in. Add more bleach.

Bleach is being depleted so quickly because it is oxidizing something in your pool. Eventually (hopefully soon) it will all of a sudden start to hold, and the cause will be completely depleted. Then you will just have to fight the algae, which will take much less, and deplete it much slower.

Again, to me it sounds like you have ammonia, but do not have the normal symptoms for some odd reason... I do not know of anything else that would eat it that fast.

- - - Updated - - -

Also retest your CYA tomorrow. Just to see if it went down. If it did, do not add any more until after this problem is over with. Afterwards bring it back up to 30 to complete your SLAM, then bring it back up to SWG level after you meet all 3 criteria.

I tested the water this morning and the FC was at 0, I bought some more bleach and dumped it in around 11. At 1pm the FC was 15 and the CC was 2. I check for ammonia and the test shows between 0.25 and 0.50. I added 4.6 bottles to the pool to try to get the FC to 24. I am going to keep adding. I have about 30 bottles at the house right now. Do you think I will need more than this? Any suggestions? I didn't check the CYA today due to being out of reagent, more will be here tomorrow.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.