I am clueless. Intex above ground pool total newbie.

Jun 14, 2015
cape cod, ma
We ended up with the 13x39 Intex sold by Target because anything taller would have been too much for our young child. It turns out this is an oddball pool size sold only by Target and when I called Intex to be sure we purchased all of the correct components that would work with the pool, they couldn't help me at all.

It's too late and we have purchased the pool so we have to make it work.

It comes with a tiny 530 GPH pump. I already know I need to ditch this and buy a bigger pump because we want saltwater and those will only work with a 700-3,000 rate. So here is what I am looking at buying for our Intex 13' x 39" metal side pool:

[h=1]Intex Krystal Clear 2800 GPH Sand Filter Pump & 7000 Gal Saltwater Chlorinator[/h](this is the smallest one they sell and says this: Use with a maximum pool size of 7,000 gallons. Requires a filter pump with a flow rate between 700-3,000 gph.)

[h=1]Intex 1,000 Gallon Cartridge Pool Filter Pump[/h](again, because the pool only comes with a 530 and we NEED to upgrade the pump in order to convert to saltwater)

[h=1]Heritage Splasher Pool Maintenance Kit for Pools 36" to 42"[/h](includes: vacuum, surface skimmer and pole)

and a Gorilla pad because our grass is a little lumpy.

I would LOVE your thoughts and even to know if this will work. Please bear with me as we are truly novices and the most pool experience I have is entering and exiting someone else's. lol

Welcome to TFP!

Its a very personal choice, but I would honestly stick with something very simple in that size of pool, at least from an investment in equipment standpoint. Perhaps wait on going all out with Salt when you upgrade to a bigger pool in the future. You could follow our guide for small pools in our seasonal/temporary pool guide as an option. Do some reading here too, and you'll find more perspective. In any case of a new Pool owner, the ABC's in Pool School is a must read. Good to have you with us, and hope you enjoy the forum!

Pool School - Guide for Seasonal/Temporary Pools

You listed 2 filter? The sand filter has a 2800gph pump built in. Then you listed a cartrige filter as well. The sand filter is probably overkill in a pool that size. I would go with a smaller pump.

http://www.amazon.com/Intex-Krystal...=1434302473&sr=8-1&keywords=intex+sand+filter

And get a separate SWG.
http://www.amazon.com/Intex-Saltwat...id=1434302538&sr=8-1&keywords=intex+saltwater

Reason being, if one component fails then you do not have to replace the whole unit.

- - - Updated - - -

Edit: there is a selection box in the ones I showed. Pick the 2100gph model pump, and the 7000g model SWG.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.