New guy considering a wood pool build

Hi all-glad I found this place. I had been Googling ideas for a DIY wood framed pool and found a thread here where a builder did exactly what I had envisioned:

Wood and Block pool

I would like to build a very simple 12' x 20' x 4' deep rectangular pool off of my back deck using the same method. I'd love to hear from others who have built pools this way. I added up the cost of lumber and materials:

• PT 6 x 6 x 8 Uprights - 558.42
  • PT 2 x 6 Purlins/Outer wall strapping - 224.64
  • PT 3/4" Plywood wall skins - 284.56
  • 1/2" foam board insulation wall padding - 86.56
  • PT 2 x 8 x 16 Cap rail - 89.85
  • 12 x 20 in-ground liner - 300.00 (Shipped)
  • Hayward C250 filter/1.5HP Super Pump - 400.00
  • 6 yards of mason sand - 350.00 (Delivered)
  • Tax, permits, electrical, and plumbing work - 1000.00

They total out to about $3300. From what I've seen online I could probably buy a decent quality above ground 12 x 20 oval (slightly smaller of course) for about $2000 with about the same amount spent on filter, sand, etc...and come in slightly less than $3300, I'm thinking that building it myself is the better way to go because it will be a better built, longer lasting pool, will be easily integrated into the deck for a custom look, and I just like doing things myself. Anything I'm missing here?

Welcome to the forum!

I know a guy who built his own homemade Octagon shaped AG pool from lumber a long time ago. It actually turned out pretty nice, and perfectly functional. Personally, I would probably go buy one, but it would be doable.

"I'm thinking that building it myself is the better way to go because it will be a better built, longer lasting pool, will be easily integrated into the deck for a custom look, and I just like doing things myself."

That's all the reason you need! Most of us are lazy and in a hurry!

Pics are required btw!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.