Filter or chemical problem

Jun 14, 2015
Waxahachie, Texas
We are having (and have had every year) a serious problem with clear water. We have our water tested and have spent enough money trying yo get clear water, we could have purchased a new pool. That being said, we are curious if it is really a chemical problem, or a filtration problem. Currently we have a 1.5 hp pump with a sand filter-~100lbs of sand in filter. Our pool is green. Our ph is 7.2 cya 70 currently, FC <4. We have killed the algae and pool went from green to milky blue. Added this, added that, no change and then back to green. Any advice is welcome and appreciated.

What's you question? :confused: I can say this without seeing anything else ... your water will only be safe and clear if it is "chemically" correct. The filter catches the debris, but what we don't see (the chemicals) have to be done by us. That's why some people never see their water get better even when they just run the pump 24/7.

If we can help with anything else, just let us know. Hang in there!

You've got a fever, and the only cure is more cowbell. Haha. Just kidding. The cure is one of the recommended test kits and getting your water balanced correctly, which you can only do if you can accurately test your water yourself. It's always a chemistry problem, and almost never a filter problem. The filter just gets the stuff out of the water. The chemistry is what makes the water safe and clear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello again Melanie, and welcome! Just to emphasize a few things to help you:
1 - I doubt you actually killed your algae. It went from green to blue, but it's still there (cloudy) ... lurking and ready to fight back :(
2 - You do indeed need one of the recommended test kits (see TF-100 link below); Why? Because we've all learned (from personal experience) you cannot reply on pool store tests, test strips, or simple over-the-counter kits. They also don't read Free Chlorine (FC) or Cyanuric Acid (CYA) levels accurately or to the high levels we need.
3 - You will need to SLAM (link below). This is the TFP process to remove algae - period. It works, and you only use bleach! But before you can SLAM:
a. Get that test kit ASAP
b. Keep PH at 7.2 in preparation for SLAM
c. Your CYA "appears" to be quite high for a non-SWG system. In fact, we ideally like it at about 30 for a SLAM to save on bleach. But caution - we really don't know your true CYA because you don't have your own test kit and we don't place our faith in test strips or the pool store. But if it turns out to be high, you have the option to do a partial drain to lower CYA or just use more bleach during the SLAM.

So you can see the common theme here ... test kit. :) For now, remove any pucks/tablets, and do not use any pool powders or shock because they raise CYA. Use only liquid bleach for now until your kit arrives.

Let us know when that kit arrives and give us some good numbers.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and don't forget to add you pool info into your signature! Add your pool info to your signature by going to the top of the TFP web page (just under the Pool School button) and select "SETTINGS". On the next page look to the left for a menu bar that says, “MY SETTINGS” and go to "EDIT SIGNATURE" to enter your pool and equipment info there. It will help us later.

That is one of the recommended test kits, but that's $20 more than the TF-100 that has a lot more test reagents. Meaning you will have to buy reagents more often than with the TF-100.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Before I order the kit, a couple questions. We have a leslie's pool store here in town. Has anyone bought a kit there? I called and asked if they have a tf-1oo and they said they sell Taylor products but they are labeled with "Leslie" test kits. Any anyone bought one? We are going out of town Tuesday-Thursday. Should we start slamming in hopes it is looking better for when we get home, or wait until we get home to start? We have started adding the bleach today. Thanks for your help. My husband is ready to put a hole in it. :(

Melanie, my husband was ready to fill ours with dirt. You really can't SLAM if you won't be home. If you have a neighbor that could come by and add a gallon for bleach each day that keep the algae at bay until you can SLAM, otherwise, just be prepared for a full SLAM when you return. It will be time consuming, but so worth it.

The TF-100 is a kit that the owner of this site put together. What he did was take the stuff we use the MOST of and put in larger quantities of it into a test kit. The Taylor (leslie's labeled) will not have enough of what YOU will need to SLAM your pool. You WILL run out of the important stuff.

In fact you should order the XL set to make sure you have enough.

Unless you have someone that can stop by your house at least 2 times a day to dump bleach in I would hold off on starting the SLAM.

Kim

melanie,

Welcome to the forum. :wave: The enthusiasm in this thread is palpable. Your kit will ship tomorrow and should be there when you get back on Thursday.

Your eyes will be opened at the solid science you will learn and the "mysteries" that the pool store suggests to you become downright silly.

Posting that first complete set of test results will start you quickly on the way to a crystal clear pool.....we promise.

Have you noticed how many nice people are so willing to help? Everyone of us has been on the same path as you and the end result is so satisfying you will want to share, too......promise again!

Tomorrow (you can't really do the CYA test in the dark) you need to run every test in the kit.

That is:
FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA

But going back to your original question, is it filtration of chemistry - the answer is chemistry. No matter how good the filter, how big the pump you can't beat algae with filtration. You have to kill it. Killing it requires knowledge of the chemical status of the pool and lots of chlorine.

In the test kit is a card with the instruction for the tests, but here is a link to the videos on how you conduct the tests.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.