Getting Discouraged - SLAM

Jun 9, 2015
Oak Grove, MS
I know this is supposed to be a process, but I am getting a little discouraged. I don't even want to tell yall how many bottles of bleach I have piled up right now! Ah! We started Slam Thursday and my husband had to go out of town for work so I have been glued to this house to get this pool clean and clear. The first day I was so excited to see the progress! Then....my inexperienced self ran out of drops to test the chlorine. I thought it would be okay because Leslie's carries refills, I thought for sure they would have what I need....nope! So I had to order some online and I've basically been winging it waiting on them to come in. So frustrating because I haven't seen much progress since then. Surely after a gazillion bottles of bleach something is happening?! I wish I would have used my brain and had some back up refills ready. ? Its still so cloudy I can't even almost see the bottom...is that normal at this point? Going on day 4.

- - - Updated - - -

image.jpgHere is my first before and after. From day 1 to day 2.

- - - Updated - - -

And here were are...day 3 to 4. I don't have my results on me but will post later. image.jpg

It's okay! :staycalm: Don't be so hard on yourself. You're right, it is frustrating and takes a while, but you'll get it. It's a bummer you ran out of the reagents you needed, but do the best you can. I would think you could continue to add bleach in the same quantity you were doing before you ran out of drops and should be okay until your next batch arrives. :)

- - - Updated - - -

Also, all things considered, your pool is looking pretty good. :)

Hello and welcome! I would say that looks like some solid progress to me! Believe me I have been in your shoes before (and I am there now as well). The slam process is so daunting and discouraging....but do not let it get you too down. This site is FILLED with success stories and you will have yours too. Just keep with the process. It is so rewarding when you finish it and you see the fruits of your labor. And, once you go through the process a couple of times...all the money on bleach just becomes the price you paid for a stellar education on pool care. You will gain this back and more once you have the knowledge and can maintain the pool on your own for pennies. I have not gotten there just yet...but im working on it! ;-)

Steve

Can you add you equipment specs to your signature, it helps a lot.

Four days and, what, 50 bleach bottles? That can easily be very common for getting a green swamp to clear. I know it's a bit frustrating as you often see enormous progress even within the first few hours and then after the green turns to cloudy blue, BAM!, it feels like you hit a brick wall :brickwall: That is totally normal as you are in the "clearing" phase of the SLAM process. You've killed all the algae and now you're maintaining the high FC to keep the water clear of any pathogens as well as oxidize all the organic junk in the pool. This is also the point in the process at which your filter is doing all the work - collecting and clearing dead algae carcasses.

I asked about the equipment because knowing what filter type you have is important. During a SLAM you want to be really vigilant about keeping the filter clean. If you have a DE or cartridge filter, then the clearing phase typically goes fast. Sand filters, on the other hand, can take a while to clear a cloudy pool. Therefore it often helps to add a little DE to a sand filter as described in Filters - Adding DE to a Sand Filter.

Your pictures are awesome! The forth picture looks so much better than the first one. Right now you need a big can of POP - Pool Owner Patience! It's going to take time but if you stay vigilant your water will look awesome in no time. Also know that if you follow the TFPC Method consistently throughout the swim season and in the future, this is probably the last time you'll ever have to SLAM your pool ([EDIT] unless you live in an area where swimming is seasonal and you close the pool every year but even then the seasonal SLAMs can be very quick [END-EDIT]). I think my last real SLAM was like three years ago or something! The most I have ever had to do when I thought my water was going a little sideways was to bump up the chlorine a bit for 24 hours and then everything returned to normal.

You'll get there, you're doing great!!

Last edited:
Thanks for the encouragement! Yall are awesome! I do need to add my info to my signature...but I don't know much except we have a sand filter (probably why this is taking forever?) and a vinyl pool with 25k gallons. My husband knows the rest! lol. I'll edit what I do know! Anyway, thanks again!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.