First post with a few questions about my AGP and SWG set up.

mobed

Jun 2, 2015
Annapolis/MD
I spent the last week leveling the pool site. We set the pool up yesterday and have water getting delivered today. Once the water gets here I plan to test it and post the readings. What should my plan of action be if my goal is to get my family in the pool quickly (everyone is ready and excited)? I've seen a few people mention start up the pool with normal chemicals get it dialed in then start the salt process..is that right? I have Salt, I need to buy CYA...what other additives will I need. Thanks in advance.

Welcome to TFP!

Have bleach on hand to manually chlorinate the pool for the first few days. The salt is going to fake time to melt and you won't be able to crank up,the SWG as soon as the water is in.

So, start the pump and get water moving. Add bleach to get to 1ppm.

Measure CYA to get to 40, place in a sock and hang in front of a return. You want to take CYA up in steps so you don't overshoot.

Adjust pH to the mid 7s

Test TA & CH but do not adjust for now.

Day two assume the CYA has reached 40 and chlorinate based on that.

Continue bleach chlorination until you have the salt in the pool and the SWG is working.

It is safe to swim when your pool is balanced and your FC is in line with your CYA.

Add the salt any time you like-doesn't effect other readings. People do it all the time even without a SWG for the "feel".

Welcome to TFP! Congrats on the new pool!

You can swim on day one as soon as it is full, the pump is on and the PH is between 7.2 and 7.8.

After day one it is safe to swim when:
PH is 7.2-7.8
Chlorine is above minimum level for your CYA
Chlorine is below shock level for your CYA
Water is clear

Here is the Chlorine CYA Chart

Here are some great article from Pool School to get you started with water maintenance
Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
Pool School - Water Balance for SWGs
Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals
Pool School - PoolMath

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.