???'s about the BBB method

Jun 13, 2015
beverly ma
We recently bought a home with a gunite inground that hasn't been opened for 2 years. I've read a lot about the BBB method and read it over and over and I'm still a little unsure what exactly it is. It seems I should add bleach and borax and backing powder and then test? Or am I testing along the way,after each step. And am I adding bleach each day, or can I switch to chlorine tabs? What do most people here do?
thanks

Welcome aboard, as you will soon find out, there are all kinds of very helpful people around here.

First, I suggest you start off by reading the articles found in pool school as it will shed a lot of light on how to maintain your pool properly.

Second, a GOOD test kit, so that you can know what is in your pool and what you need to add. When you can post your numbers, then we can tell what your pool needs.

These folks are very helpful, their method is called the TFPC method and if you want to use this method they will help you every step of the way. Again, welcome to TFP :wave:

Hi,
the BBB method has been rebranded to Trouble Free Pool Care (TFPC). BBB is catchy, but unfortunately a lot of folks would just go out and by and many dumped Bleach Borax and Baking Soda in the pool.

Of the 3 B's, you will need bleach as a your main source of chlorine (or a saltwater generator). We dont recommend using Trichlor Tabs, because they add other stuff along with chlorine and that other stuff can lead to big problems.

You may never need the Borax or Baking soda. I just depends on if your pool needs that or not.

the only way to know what your pool needs, is to test the water with a reliable test kit (see link in my sig to recommended test kit).

We recently bought a home with a gunite inground that hasn't been opened for 2 years. I've read a lot about the BBB method and read it over and over and I'm still a little unsure what exactly it is. It seems I should add bleach and borax and backing powder and then test? Or am I testing along the way,after each step. And am I adding bleach each day, or can I switch to chlorine tabs? What do most people here do?
thanks

Welcome to TFP! The idea here is to use a very accurate test kit and then only add things to the pool that are necessary. And most important to know why you are adding them and what they will do.

Get one of the Recommended Test Kits, I use the TF100 from tftestkits.net.

Here are some of my fave Pool School articles to get you started.
TFPC for Beginners
ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry

Here are the Recommended Levels for your pool.
Here are the Recommended Pool Chemicals and how to add them.
Use PoolMath to figure out how much to add.

Once you have a good test kit you'll utilize Poolmath: http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html to identify exactly what your pool needs. Once your pool is dialed in chemistry-wise you almost really only need bleach to keep it clean/maintained the other stuff is an occasional add to re-balance moderate shifts. Which is why in the beginning you'll find yourself testing frequently. As you learn your pool and have all the other numbers dialed in you can drop down to testing only FC everyday and the other tests to once or twice per week. The biggest piece of advice is relegate pucks for vacation duty or dialing in your CYA. Otherwise, don't puck up your pool!

Welcome to TFP! The idea here is to use a very accurate test kit and then only add things to the pool that are necessary. And most important to know why you are adding them and what they will do.

:goodpost:

This is EXACTLY the heart of the TFPC/BBB Method. And to amplify it a bit more -

1. Only You are the pool's OWNER
2. Only you will ever care enough about the pool to make a difference
3. Only you can accurately test your own water
4. You need only add what the water requires and nothing more than that
5. Your water CAN be treated with simple chemicals that are easily obtained

Those who teach otherwise spread disinformation and fear to make you think that you are not capable of caring for your pool. They try to make you believe that your pool water needs fancy and expensive chemicals to solve basic water chemistry issues. And they simply don't care if your pool water is perfectly clear or clouded with algae because it's not their problem. Their bottom line is making a profit; your bottom line is having a clear and sparkling swimming pool to enjoy. The overlap between those two motives is often very small or non-existent.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.