What next after filling up a 10ft above ground pool

Jun 13, 2015
chicago
I ordered the tf100 test kit after reading the instructions here. It will arrive in 1 week. Meantime we want to fill the pool. It is a 10'×3' intex, 1100 gallons.
Is there anything I should do to the water before the tester arrives. I plan to use liquid bleach but how much approximately am I looking to add daily.
Should I go ahead and buy the muratic acid as well?
Any other things I should keep handy?
This pool will be mainly used by 2 little kids.
How hard will it be to maintain it? :)

Glad to have found this site.

Welcome to TFP! Congrats on the new pool! Plain bleach is a great plan! Good job getting the TF100, I love mine. No need to buy muriatic acid until we know what your TA and PH are.

Here are some of my fave Pool School articles about water chemistry and maintenance.
TFPC for Beginners
ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry

Here are the Recommended Levels for your pool.
Here are the Recommended Pool Chemicals and how to add them.
Use PoolMath to figure out how much to add.

OR

Because your pool is small you can use this method, Pool School - Guide for Seasonal/Temporary Pools

It is certainly fine for you to maintain your small pool just like a bigger pool. Especially if this is a "gateway" pool and you plan to get bigger pools in the future. We started with a similar pool a dozen years ago and kept moving up every few years and now we've got an inground gunite pool.

Thank you pooldv, I am reading the links you sent as well as other posts with similar pools.
I need to buy a cover for the pool from Amazon and need to fill the 35$ for free shipping :). Should I buy some stabilizer as well since I will be using bleach?
Also what do you think about arm&hammer pool clarifier (7lbs) It says stabilizes ph and alcaline. Will I need that?

No opinion on covers, but if the pool is already full of water, you don't want to wait for the CYA unless it's free overnight. You need to get that locally and get some in the water to protect the chlorine from the sun.

We discourage multipurpose chemicals. You end up having to juggle too many parameters simultaneously. So no on the clarifier stuff.

Measure the actual water depth in the pool so you can calculate an accurate volume and the start treating the water. 2 FC first, then CYA to 30-40, then pH. Then you're ready to :splash:

It helps if you can add your pool information to your signature. If it's an easy-set pool, Intex has a chart somewhere that shows the volume, since they're not straight-walled.

Thanks Richard320. We haven't filled it yet due to rain in forecast. Also the tubes that go to/from the filter are green inside and I want to try to clean them first. Should I put them in bleach water and try to scrub them somehow. I can't reach in the middle but I am worried the algea of last year that got stuck in there will end up in the clean water.
Ok I am ordering the chlorine protector. Will a 4lbs bottle be enough? How much would you put of that in a 1100 gallon pool at first and how much bleach?
I will delay the filling a few days then until cya comes.
Will try to put pool specs in the signature...

Thanks Richard320. We haven't filled it yet due to rain in forecast. Also the tubes that go to/from the filter are green inside and I want to try to clean them first. Should I put them in bleach water and try to scrub them somehow. I can't reach in the middle but I am worried the algea of last year that got stuck in there will end up in the clean water.
Ok I am ordering the chlorine protector. Will a 4lbs bottle be enough? How much would you put of that in a 1100 gallon pool at first and how much bleach?
I will delay the filling a few days then until cya comes.
Will try to put pool specs in the signature...
You'll only need about 6 oz by weight of stabilizer, so get the smallest package you can. If you know someone with a bigger pool, see if they have any leftovers.

For bleach, the 2 ppm FC you need to add at the start is 3.3 fluid ounces - just under ½ cup of standard 8.25% bleach

It seems so strange to be giving such small amounts of things. Your pool is so small and so easy to dump if something gets too far out of whack, you could also utilize dichlor or trichlor to chlorinate initially until the CYA gets up into range.
One pound of trichlor - 2 pucks - would send your CYA to about 61. One pound of dichlor powder would send it to 55. The pucks dissolve slowly. Trichlor could be used instead of bleach a few teaspoons every day until the whole 1 lb package is used up and then you go to bleach. poolmath can give you the dose. If you keep close track of how much you;ve added you can recalculate your CYA and your new FC target once a week or so. That might be the cheapest route. How good are you at math?

The hoses? Soak 'em in the bathtub overnight with some bleach. Also does well to loosen soap scum. Just make sure they are filled with the bleach solution and you shake 'em a little to flush it loose.

Great I will get some chlorine tablets then to start and test when the test arrive.
Last year we filled the pool in half because one of the kids was too small and used nothing.
I had to empty it every week as it was green so fast. It was too much work and I hated it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.