New pool owner and nervous

Jun 13, 2015
San Antonio, TX
I just bought a house with a pool, and now I'm a first time pool owner. its an approximately 15,000 gallon in ground pool with a waterfall and a spa. The pool is about 20 years old, and all the hardware is shot. I'm getting a new Pentair FNS plus 60 sq. ft. DE filter, a Pentair 250K BTU MasterTemp water heater, and variable speed pump installed. I decided since I was having all of this done, I might as well convert it to salt water, so I'm also getting a Hayward SwimPure Salt Chlorinator and T-Cell.

Having put the order in for the work, now I've learned there could be issues with my sandstone water feature and flagstone coping, and I'm getting nervous around the possibility of additional labor, be it regularly rinsing the deck, or possibly sealing the porous stone. Can some folks give me some input on their experiences running SWG pools, how long they've been running them, and if they've run into issues? I'm starting to have second thoughts.

Attached is a picture of my waterfall. It's not functioning until I get a new pump installed -- I'm moving over the fixed speed pump to be used by the waterfall and installing the variable speed to run the pool. Any input would be welcome. Thanks for the help!

20150613_223908596_iOS-Smaller.jpg

Welcome to the forum!

I'll kick this off with a couple of things. Get a SWG sized for a 35-40,000 gallon pool at minimum. It will last much longer because it will not have to work as much to Chlorinate the pool.

If you intend to manage the pool on your own, which I kind of assume, you ought to invest in a good test kit. It will protect the investment you are making in the pool when use to properly maintain and balance the pool. Good luck, and enjoy the forum!

We are 3 years in and it is pretty good so far. There are tons of threads discussing pros and cons here. We do not seal anything. There are a few pieces that flake a few pieces that pit and most of them look exactly the same as day one. Some of our worst pieces of flagstone are not anywhere near the pool. Sealing the ones that are flaking would not help. It is a natural stone and there are lots of variations. If you want natural flagstone is the way to go. But, don't expect it all to look the same. Pics in in my build thread in my sig.

Hey fellow San Antonio TFP'er! :wave: Can't agree more with the veterans ... get a TF-100 now. I did the same last year and can't imagine not having it to be in control. All I do now is go to HEB for my liquid shock as needed. In your case .. perhaps salt. :) Read-up in the Pool School and/or links in my sig and you're on your way. Crazy weather today here, but the sun is coming back soon. :)

When you get a moment, please add your pool info to your signature by going to the top of the TFP web page (just under the Pool School button) and select "SETTINGS". On the next page look to the left for a menu bar that says, “MY SETTINGS” and go to "EDIT SIGNATURE" to enter your pool and equipment info there. It will help us later.

Thanks everyone for the responses. After deliberating a bit I decided I'm going to hold off on the SWG and get the pool in good working order first. It's 20 years old the stonework is showing a little wear. I figure it's worth sealing cracks, etc, before I decide to move to salt.

I've got the installers coming out next week so I'll post some pictures soon. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.