Troubles with pool opening

May 29, 2015
Charlottetown
Hi folks,

I have a 16 x 38 foot in-ground pool that uses a sand filtration system. I attempted to open the pool myself this season for the first time and am encountering difficulties. I apologize but this is going to be a long and detailed explanation! Here is what I did:

- removed all the water/leaves/debris that collected on top of the winter pool cover;
- removed the winter pool cover;
- got the water back up to level;
- re-installed the pump to the filtration system/intake pipes;
- removed the winter plugs from the (2) return jets in the deep end and the plug in the skimmer;
- replaced the plug that was on the bottom of the sand filter.

I then promptly turned everything on. I suspect that I should have bled the air from the system, but I did not initially.

Now realizing my mistake, I have been putting the filter system on "recirculate" and have attempted several times to bleed out air (by leaving the plug off the filter and waiting until a steady stream comes out, then turning off the system and doing the same while on the "filter" setting).

This has not worked. I am taking up water from the pool but as soon as it starts rushing in the pool pump itself starts switching on and off. I also do not show any pressure on the gauge. I suspect I still have too much air in the lines that might be tripping the pump off (the pump is still in working condition). I also hear water filling up the large sand filtration basin too at this time. Perhaps I was supposed to fill this up before turning the system on?

I don't know what I am missing. I suspect it is something obvious. Can anyone more skilled offer me any advice? I have only owned the pool for 2 years and am admittedly a novice! Appreciate any advice anyone can give me!

Welcome! :wave:

The first problem is easy. On recirculate, the water never gets near the filter, so you won't ever get any air out of the bleed on recirculate. Perhaps a better term would be bypass. The water goes through the pump, through the valve, and back to the pool, bypassing the filter completely. You won't see any pressure on the gauge because there isn't any in the filter. It's bypassed.

The second problem is also probably easy. You're describing surging. It's usually caused by low water level in the skimmer and/or a stuck skimmer door. The pump starts to prime, and then it catches and sucls all the water out of the skimmer, loses prime, stops pumping, the skimmer refills, and the cycle repeats.

Welcome to the TFP site! In an effort to assist you, please add your pool info to your signature by going to the top of the TFP web page (just under the Pool School button) and select "SETTINGS". On the next page look to the left for a menu bar that says, “MY SETTINGS” and go to "EDIT SIGNATURE" to enter your pool and equipment info there. It will help us later.

I'm sure someone will reply to you shortly with some suggestions related to your pump/san filter circulation problem.

So to bleed the air out properly, what should I do?
Welcome! :wave:

The first problem is easy. On recirculate, the water never gets near the filter, so you won't ever get any air out of the bleed on recirculate. Perhaps a better term would be bypass. The water goes through the pump, through the valve, and back to the pool, bypassing the filter completely. You won't see any pressure on the gauge because there isn't any in the filter. It's bypassed.

The second problem is also probably easy. You're describing surging. It's usually caused by low water level in the skimmer and/or a stuck skimmer door. The pump starts to prime, and then it catches and sucls all the water out of the skimmer, loses prime, stops pumping, the skimmer refills, and the cycle repeats.

To bleed air, it depends on your exact filter. If the pipes and the valve are on the top, just let it run. the air will rise and get forced out the pipe into the pool. If the pipes enter on the side, there should be some kind of air bleed on top near the pressure gauge. See - this is why we ask again and again and again that people fill out their signature.

Have you checked that the flapper in the skimmer isn't sticking? The skimmer well is staying full of water when the pump is on? First you get the pump straightened out and flowing, then you worry about bleeding air.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.