Metal Coping Repair

Apr 27, 2013
Long-time reader, first time poster. Thanks for all the information gathered over the years. Now I have a real stumper and need some help.

My 1980s pool is starting to seriously show its age. Specifically, the coping is rusting heavily, and can no longer be ignored. (OK, it probably shouldve already been taken care of long ago...)

FullSizeRender.jpg

The coping is metal. I'm guessing steel. In any case, its rusted so badly that this winter it's started to pop off the plastic caps that cover the joints. In fact, it looks like the previous owner (i've been here 3 years) has had this problem before and used some sort of compound to cover up the joint issues, with middling success. See below.

FullSizeRender (1).jpg

Any idea about the steps I need to take? Here's the plan I've made to address this. Your thoughts welcome.

• Remove as much loose rust as possible, using a floating plastic sheet to catch falling debris from landing in the pool.
  • I've ordered some POR-15 to Metal Prep and Rust Preventer to address the rust.
  • Apply white paint to the treated areas. Should I use POR-15 Top Coat? Is there another product that someone recommends?
  • I'm unsure of how to cover the joints following this work. The plastic caps are embedded in the concrete, which I can't replicate. Ideas?

Alternatively (or additionally), I've thought about covering the offending coping with new coping. I see that there are brick coping products that cover existing, but it looks like that then requires much additional deck work. Any other options for a cosmetic improvement after I do the rust work?

Thanks for any help you all can offer. This is a wonderful forum.

The expansion joint is not helping you here. I would say water is entering the joint and traveling right down to the coping of the pool. Is there any way a section of the coping can be cut out and replaced ?? I have used POR before, but only for automotive applications. It only lasted a year.

The expansion joint is not helping you here. I would say water is entering the joint and traveling right down to the coping of the pool. Is there any way a section of the coping can be cut out and replaced ?? I have used POR before, but only for automotive applications. It only lasted a year.

Yes, the joint allows to much water it. Poor design. My fear is that there is no way to address the problem in a meaningful way besides cutting it out. But as the coping goes under the concrete it seems like a major undertaking.

Any other ideas for covering the current coping without having to remove it?

Does that coping have a track for the liner ? How sophisticated is it? What does the profile look like, just an L? Where the lower part of the L is under the concrete? Can you cut it out, being careful not to damage the liner? Clean off the rust, prime it and some good red oxide paint. Get some good epoxy and put in another piece of equal size metal? If you had to you could use some tapcons or cement anchors to hold it in.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.