Bubbles coming out of the jets

May 24, 2010
New Engalnd
Hello,

Trying to identify the issue here. WHen I run the filter, I notice bubbles coming out of the jets. The first place I looked was the basket on the pump. While running, there seems to be some mix of air in the basket as the water is swirling around (i can see through plastic top). This leads me to believe it is somewhere in the skimmer or skimmer line. What would or could be a likely cause here? or how should i begin to assess? Also, fully recognizing it may not be the skimmer line, I'll check anything.

I'm also wondering if I should try a water loss test? I havent seen any water loss, but the pump has been running non stop as I try to clear it after a ridiculous winter.(which by the way this shocking process is approaching 3 weeks, rather than the normal 8-10 days.

You have a suction side air leak. Somewhere between the pump and the skimmer(s), air is being sucked into the system. It is above ground 95% of the time. Find that leak and your issues will be solved. There is an article in Pool School that may be of benefit

There is no water loss associated with it.

Is your water level at or above the minimum marks on the face of your shimmer (normally at least half way up the opening)? Look in the skimmer box for a vortex. If there is one, your water level may be too low. If the water level is correct, try dropping a tennis into the skimmer. That will breakup any vortex and stop air from being mixed into the water. Be sure to open your filter bleed to vent off any air trapped in the filter housing. Keep venting until a solid stream of water comes out.

If everything is correct at the skimmer, your pump filter basket gasket my be leaking. Try pouring water over the cover and see if the air stops being drawn into the system. If that works, take the cover off, gently remove the o-ring and inspect it for cracking. If no cracking, put a good coat of silicon o-ring lube on it and reinstall. Do not over tighten the pump cover as that can cause it to leak.

Warning! DO NOT use plumbers grease on the o-ring! That grease can damage the pump housing.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.