Anyone get pebble interior done BEFORE decking (concrete)

Sunbaby

LifeTime Supporter
Feb 27, 2015
Centerville, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Truclear / Ei
I'm formed and waiting on concrete. Due to the month of rain and flooding we had, concrete is in high demand. I'm first in line but was wondering if there is a reason I couldn't get the PT interior done first? I've noticed on most build threads decking is first - I'm assuming to keep concrete from accidentally getting in there? Anyone know for sure? I'd like to be armed with knowledge before asking my PB

I'm formed and waiting on concrete. Due to the month of rain and flooding we had, concrete is in high demand. I'm first in line but was wondering if there is a reason I couldn't get the PT interior done first? I've noticed on most build threads decking is first - I'm assuming to keep concrete from accidentally getting in there? Anyone know for sure? I'd like to be armed with knowledge before asking my PB

I want to know the answer to this also! I have a feeling my PB is not going to wait for the paver guy since he seems more backed up than the pool side. Thanks. Suz.

I've seen it both ways.
The pouring of a deck is less messy that the spraying of PT/plaster.
They will make the appropriate preparations either way.
I had all my travertine down prior to PT.
They laid plastic down over the whole area, masking off at the waterline tile.
I would imagine, for the opposite order, all they would need do is mask off at the coping.

I guess that having the deck in place helps not tracking muck into the pool when they shoot the PT.

Having just had my decking done I can tell doing PT prior to concrete decking wouldn't be my first option. I had a mess in my pool after, even a little 3 x 3 pile of concrete ended-up on my shotcrete. Now maybe they would have been MUCH more detail oriented had my plaster been in but based on what I came home to, wouldn't be my first choice.

Plus it will be a matter of timing. They can't let the PT sit for days waiting on decking. I really wouldn't choose this route anyway. No way. Plaster is almost without exception done last for a variety of reasons.

OK - this is good to know. I was thinking we could to PT and fill it - and do concrete whenever the concrete God's blessed me. But I do NOT want to do something that is iffy.

@Sunbaby are you doing a spray deck on your concrete? Reason I ask is my decking guy waited a week to let my concrete cure prior to starting my spray deck. Not sure how long they recommend in TX, here in Vegas it was high 90s to low 100s and single digit humidity and it still took a week.

We have a Quartz finish and my PB suggested we do the plaster after my decking but said some people who don't want to wait reverse the order. If the decking guys are very careful I would think it would be ok, but what are the odds each employee of the decking contractor will be very careful - I would say 12%.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If the decking guys are very careful I would think it would be ok, but what are the odds each employee of the decking contractor will be very careful - I would say 12%.

LOL and agreed. Especially with the spray on deck surface.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.