ThatDrunkGuy

Jun 12, 2015
Lake Forest, CA
Hey guys, name is Jim. I've had my pool a little over a year now. I had growing concerns about the pool guy I was using....it started with a flat $90 a month. Eventually he started adding charges for 'extra' chemicals. I would ask him not to add them(and not pay for them) until they were explained to me. I was never charged, but also never got any explanations. I'm assuming he does it with all customers and just hopes they pay it? I don't know, but one time he thought it was wise to talk down to me. I then fired him and cussed him out...lol...maybe not the best course of action. He then said he was sorry, said it would never happen again, so I re hired him. Things were fine, but when filter cleaning was due this time around I asked for it to be scheduled so I could learn the process. Well it was never scheduled, so I just let him go again.

I just purchased a bunch of cleaning equipment from Amazon....including a basic pool test kit.....and two gallons of M. acid.[h=1]Poolmaster 22260 5-Way Test Kit with Case - Basic Collection[/h]
I got this just to get started, my neighbor recommended just starting with chlorine and PH levels....and for the most part I should be fine. I'm willing to later get a more 'advanced' test kit. I'm hoping there is one out there that will quickly give me accurate digital readings...that isn't super expensive. Anyway, first thing I noticed is my chlorine is super high and my PH is around 8. I'm not sure why the pool guy never did this, but I started looking at my pump settings. The Intellichlor was set at 45%, and the pump was set for 12 hours. I'm told the IC40 is usually used on larger pools? So I decreased it to 15%. The pump was set for 2 hours of max speed in the morning(super off-peak rates 6am-8am) then the spillway at moderate speed from 12pm-2pm. The rest of the time the pump is at lowest speed(1800). I shortened that lowest speed by two hours, so the pump is on from 6am-4pm in total. The chlorine looks like it's coming back to normal....it's more of a bright yellow than a dark orange. The first night I added 1 cup of acid. The next day i tested again, still was high....so I did the acid demand test. I then added 2 cups based on the chart. The next day, same thing......added 2 more cups of acid. I was concerned about adding too much acid.....so I waited a week. Today I tested again, still high PH....added another 2 cups. Then I decided to log in here. Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Welcome to TFP!

Stories like this are why it's time to take the management of your pool into your own hands. You will soon see it is not the 3-headed monster that many people make it out to be.

I'm willing to later get a more 'advanced' test kit.
I would make this a "now" priority. Here are our list of Recommended Test Kits. I use the TF-100 because it's the best value and they have a freshness guarantee. You can order it here: TFTestkits.net. They ship fast - you should have it in your hands in 2-3 days with normal shipping. Best thing is, this kit will cost you significantly less than one month's payment to your former pool guy and it, along with our methods, will save you $ every month after. The TFP method of pool care is about adding only those chemicals that are needed and in the proper dose. That is based on test results from a reliable test kit.

While you are waiting for your kit to arrive, here are some resources to give you an overview of managing your pool using our methods:
1. ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry
2. Chlorine CYA Chart This relationship is most-critical. I would focus on understanding this first.
3. Recommended Pool Chemicals
4. Recommended Levels
5. Pool Math

Ok, thanks.....three questions.

The vacuum hose I got fits the head fine, but the other end is too small I guess.....it slips right in the return. It doesn't go far, and it appears to work fine. Think it's ok to continue to use this way, or will there be some problem in the future I'm not aware of?

Just to keep the PH in check, is it ok to keep adding M. acid while I wait for the other test kit? PH is still high today, and says I need another pint. Is there a limit or danger zone if it keeps saying high PH? Is it normal for PH to remain high a day after adding acid?

The other pages list Vinyl, Fiberglass, and Plaster......what does Pebble fall under?

Welcome! :wave:
Ok, thanks.....three questions.

The vacuum hose I got fits the head fine, but the other end is too small I guess.....it slips right in the return. It doesn't go far, and it appears to work fine. Think it's ok to continue to use this way, or will there be some problem in the future I'm not aware of?
There has been at least one report here of the cuff coming off the hose and getting stuck in the plumbing. I use a threaded PVC coupling that sits nicely in the skimmer port and the hose itself is a snug fit inside the threaded end.
Just to keep the PH in check, is it ok to keep adding M. acid while I wait for the other test kit? PH is still high today, and says I need another pint. Is there a limit or danger zone if it keeps saying high PH? Is it normal for PH to remain high a day after adding acid?
When FC is above 10, the pH test reagent will react and read falsely high. Photographic Proof So stop adjusting pH until you know what the FC level really is so you'll know if the pH test is correct.

The proper test kit will tell you precisely where the FC level is. You need to invest in a proper test kit. We keep hammering this point for a reason.
The other pages list Vinyl, Fiberglass, and Plaster......what does Pebble fall under?
Plaster. That's what's holding the pebbles to the shell.

I had a feeling something was off when testing the PH.....I'll wait till the new test kit gets here.

PVC coupling, any chance you have a pic.....so I can get an idea of what i'm searching for. I'm guessing Home Depot....

I need to get a covered bin to store all my pool supplies. I'm assuming if it's kept cool and dry, it's ok to house the acid jugs with the pool cleaning equipment?

Thanks again for all the help!

I had a feeling something was off when testing the PH.....I'll wait till the new test kit gets here.

PVC coupling, any chance you have a pic.....so I can get an idea of what i'm searching for. I'm guessing Home Depot....

I need to get a covered bin to store all my pool supplies. I'm assuming if it's kept cool and dry, it's ok to house the acid jugs with the pool cleaning equipment?

Thanks again for all the help!

Sits right inside the skimmer port in just that orientation and the vacuum hose slips into the threaded end with just a little push.

As long as you're wandering the hardware store... do you have/need a backwash hose and a way to connect it? Lowes has these out in the pool section along the wall in outdoor garden

You'll need a hose clamp to hold the hose on.

Acid jugs do leak some fumes, so anything that is metal is going to corrode. Heat doesn't affect acid the way it does bleach, but sunlight may weaken the plastic. Just keep it out of the sun away from everything else.

OK, used the new test kit for the first time today.....could use some help on the results. Tested water about a foot deep, at 5pm, with the pump off.

Cl looks to be between 3-5.....hard to tell
pH looks to be 7.8.....also hard to tell
Alk 140 (15th drop had no change)
FAS/DPD 6 drops = 3 FC / went slightly pink .5 CC
Calcium H. 310
CYA this looked to be around 50....but hard to test because the tube was leaking

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Is the new kit one of the recommended ones? Assuming it is your pool should be simple to maintain. For your size it will take 11 ounces of 8.25% bleach to raise FC .5 ppm, and 11 ounces of 31% acid to drop ph 1 ppm. With a cya of 50 you should try and stay at a target of 6 FC so, 66 ounces of bleach to get to 6FC. Buy 10 ounce solo cups and just fill the slightly higher than the line and slow pour into the deep end at a return jet. For PH same thing just use 33 ounces of acid.

Thanks....couple questions.

Is it possible to just crank up the chlorinator for the chlorine? I get maybe not this time to get things under control.....but can I long term keep CC under control this way? I'm not really sure how CC and FC works yet.
That would be 4 cups of M. acid correct? Is there a limit to how much I should add in one day? Should I also space out when I add acid and chlorine? (they don't play well together right)
How do I bring down my Alk......and how will that affect the other levels?

The links aren't working so well right now.....this may all have to wait.

if the test kit you just got can't clearly indicate between 3 and 5 ppm...that is not going to be accurate enough to take control of your pool. The recommended test kits use a drop counting method to give you very precise results.

FC is the free chlorine in your pool that is ready to act on organics. CC is the result of the FC acting on the organics. If your CC reading is over .5, that means that you are using up a lot of FC to kill stuff in the pool, and a sign you have algae somewhere, usually.

Use the CYA chlorine relationship link above to find what the MINIMUM FC level for you pool should be, assuming your CYA level is at 50. I'm not familiar with that test kit you got, so who knows how that CYA test is read. Does it go past 50?

Slowly pour the acid into the deep end at a return then brush the sides all sound. I add chlorine right after that brushing with no issues, then I brush again. It won't be an issue to add 33 ounces of acid in one setting.

attachment.php
This is the thing that came with the recommended TF-100. It's just the color bar.....not the easiest to read.....it just says to add 5 drops. I viewed the vids on YT....is there another way to test chlorine levels that I'm not aware of? I did buy the magnetic mixer thing, which helps.

The CYA tube was leaky, they are sending a new one as we speak.....but it looked close to 50-60.

- - - Updated - - -

attachment.php
This is the thing that came with the recommended TF-100. It's just the color bar.....not the easiest to read.....it just says to add 5 drops. I viewed the vids on YT....is there another way to test chlorine levels that I'm not aware of? I did buy the magnetic mixer thing, which helps.

The CYA tube was leaky, they are sending a new one as we speak.....but it looked close to 50-60.

Attachments

• 2015-06-23 16.51.54.jpg
    2015-06-23 16.51.54.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 135
Then you should read the instructions. The FAS-DPD test, with the R-0870 and R-0871 and R-003 will measure FC and CC accurately all the way up to 50. If reading is too difficult, watch the video.

- - - Updated - - -

Then you should read the instructions. The FAS-DPD test, with the R-0870 and R-0871 and R-003 will measure FC and CC accurately all the way up to 50. If reading is too difficult, watch the video.

The color block test is an oto chlorine test. Some use it, some don't. It's just a bonus that comes with the ph block. The fas/dpd chlorine test is the one that uses the powder and the drops. It's the accurate one that Richard linked the video to. If you just want to know if there is chlorine, the oto works. If you want to know exactly how much chlorine, use the fas/dpd.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Look, I'm new to this.....me and my daughter both have a fever......and the links on the site haven't been working so well the past few days. That's why maybe I wasn't as clear as I should have been....

....but what's your excuse for trying to be so mean? My pool guy was fired for the exact same attitude.....or course I find it here too. If I had known pool chemistry made people feel so superior, I would have made a different career choice. Speaking of reading being difficult.....here are some quotes of mine.

FAS/DPD 6 drops = 3 FC / went slightly pink .5 CC

I viewed the vids on YT....is there another way to test chlorine levels that I'm not aware of?

I did that test, and watched all the vids. When I was questioned about the accuracy, I thought he was referring to the first test I did. Again, my bad for being distracted.

Look, I'm new to this.....me and my daughter both have a fever......and the links on the site haven't been working so well the past few days. That's why maybe I wasn't as clear as I should have been....

....but what's your excuse for trying to be so mean? My pool guy was fired for the exact same attitude.....or course I find it here too. If I had known pool chemistry made people feel so superior, I would have made a different career choice. Speaking of reading being difficult.....here are some quotes of mine.

I did that test, and watched all the vids. When I was questioned about the accuracy, I thought he was referring to the first test I did. Again, my bad for being distracted.
I'll consider myself fired, then. Sorry you took it that way. I shan't respond to anymore of your posts.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support