Heater Help Please!

Adi91

Jun 12, 2015
Parma
New user in need of some help.

I have an above ground pool, 15X30 and I am trying to figure out how to hook up the heater. The heater is a hayward H150 and after hooking up all the lines and filter, water does not seem to flow through the heater to the pump.

I keep priming the pump and run it for a few seconds but no new water enters the pump from the heater. I have the pump valve open but do not see any on the heater.
Are there any valves to be opened up inside the heater? Does the heater need to be turned on for the water to flow through?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

The heater goes after the pump usually, but I don't think that's your problem.

Is the pool below the pump and heater? Because otherwise, the pump should fill just from gravity from your above-ground pool. Did you open all the valves between the pool and the equipment? If you didn't do something, water would have been pouring out the pipes while you were trying to hook things up.

The pool is above the pump and heater. It does fill the pump and filter from the return but when I run the pump it goes dry.

I have it set up from pool skimmer to heater inlet and from heater outlet to pump/filter,then return to pool.

Skimmer to pump, pump to filter, filter to heater, heater to chlorinator(if you have one), then to return in pool. That this the way things should be plumbed.

The pool is above the pump and heater. It does fill the pump and filter from the return but when I run the pump it goes dry.

I have it set up from pool skimmer to heater inlet and from heater outlet to pump/filter,then return to pool.
Then I think the problem is that there is too much restriction on the inlet side trying to get through the heater. The pump can push water out faster than it can draw it in, hence, it loses prime and stops working. You need to re-do the plumbing so the heater is on the pressure side of the system and not the suction side. In fact, there's probably a pressure switch in the heater that shuts it down when there's no flow, so even if the pump was flowing, the heater would never fire anyway .

And while it's all apart, check that there are no plugs in the ports of the heater. They might put something in them to keep stuff out during manufacturing and shipping and storage.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.