First Winter with 3 month old pool

Jun 24, 2008
East of Dallas
Have a few questions and not sure exactly which forum to put them in:

1) My pool is salt water, the pumps are set to come on when the temp outside gets to freezing. With the pool being salt, does this change the temperature that the pumps should come on at? Specifically, should the pumps come on at a lower temp?

2) Have a solar cover on the pool. One of the blue bubble wrap type ones. Do I need to do anything out of the normal during winter? Have had lots of leaves blowing onto the cover and a few making their way into the water. Is it OK to just pull cover off once a week and let my cleaner run a few hours to take care of debris? Can I go 2 or 3 weeks if there are leaves in the water at the bottom of the pool?

Thanks all.

Where are you located/how cold are your winters? Mine is set at 37º which is what I was told is acceptable in my area. Here in Texas it is really only cold at night so many people here switch their filter cycle to night time to save on your electric bill. If it is going to come on at night anyway for the frees protection just let it filter then and be off during the day. I have not switched mine yet but am thinking about it. Does anyone else run filtering at night?

Tonedeaf said:
1) My pool is salt water, the pumps are set to come on when the temp outside gets to freezing. With the pool being salt, does this change the temperature that the pumps should come on at? Specifically, should the pumps come on at a lower temp?

This is an interesting question. I'd bet the effect on freezing point due to the salt concentration has got to be less than, say, your altitude or some other consideration. I wouldn't change any settings because of it, but I am interested to see what the math on it is.

2) Have a solar cover on the pool. One of the blue bubble wrap type ones. Do I need to do anything out of the normal during winter? Have had lots of leaves blowing onto the cover and a few making their way into the water. Is it OK to just pull cover off once a week and let my cleaner run a few hours to take care of debris? Can I go 2 or 3 weeks if there are leaves in the water at the bottom of the pool?

I wouldn't leave leaves and nuts and things on your gunite for more than a week at a time. They'll stain eventually and you'll just create more work for yourself. Otherwise, leave the cover on as usual.

AV8TOR said:
Where are you located/how cold are your winters? Mine is set at 37º which is what I was told is acceptable in my area. Here in Texas it is really only cold at night so many people here switch their filter cycle to night time to save on your electric bill. If it is going to come on at night anyway for the frees protection just let it filter then and be off during the day. I have not switched mine yet but am thinking about it. Does anyone else run filtering at night?

I am in the Dallas Area. Like you said, it is really only cold at night unless we get a big cold front come through or an ice storm etc.

I could switch the cycle to be on during the night, my waterfall comes on when it gets to freezing. Not a huge deal, but does add water on top of the solar cover, once it turns off, the water just goes back into the pool.

Tonedeaf,

I am in El Paso, this will be my 3rd winter, and my first winter without leaving my solar cover on, the reasoning is, by leaving the solar cover on in the past, I would have to replace it every 12-14 months, at $100.00 a pop I was getting anoyed, so this winter I have cleaned, dried and rolled up my cover and put it in the garage, when your cover in on, clorine, acid and the elements takes it toll on the cover, and winter time, I don't really care if my water is 60 degrees or 48 degrees, I only have one tree in the backyard, so the mess wasn't that bad, now the leaves are off, and the pool doesn't get that dirty, I have swithched my pump to run from 2 am to 6 am, and once a week I drop my polarias ATV to clean up the sand.

IMO I feel leaving the cover on during the winter does not justify the cost of replacement so soon.

In the Dallas area as well. Once swimming season is over, I normally remove the solar cover and store it in the garage. I'll pull it out again in March. It's just easier to do any needed maintenance without the cover. I have my freeze protector set at 37 degrees. I normally run the pump in the morning, but running it at night is probably a good idea. I also keep my navigator running full time. Helps to get the leaves and stuff that gets blown into the pool.

I don't think the water getting on top of your cover is an issue, even if it freezes. Where you don't want the water freezing is in your pipes. Not sure if this would damage the cover though.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.