Opening the Pool Yet Again

Jun 14, 2011
New Jersey
Hello guys,
Could someone refresh my memory as to adjusting pool levels at opening? I will be shocking the pool in the beginning so I know its not a good ides to add chemicals until all done with that as to not waste them. But should I level anything before shocking? like Ph and Alkalinity maybe?

Hi Rafael,

I see you have been here a while, so I'm curious if you have a proper kit for this, and if you are familiar with our shock process we call SLAM? We don't shock in the conventional accepted way. Let us know, and we can help.

Yes I have a proper test kit and yes I know what SLAMing is, just could not remember if I needed to adjust any levels before slamming. Anyways, since I didn't get any replies I went ahead and adjusted PH and just started SLAMing on Saturday at 8PM. My first readings were

Chlorine - 0
PH - 8.4 or higher
CYA - 40
CH - 150
TA - 60

Already passed OCLT Sunday night and water crystal clear. I think this is three years in a row I pass OCLT within 24 hour period. Now again this year I run into the problem with FC levels, I adjust to 24 (Mustard Algae level) just in case but I end up a lot higher..... I think Wallmart Bleach is a lot stronger then labeled, I think I was around 34 levels if recall correctly. Maybe that is why I clear out things so quickly and it only takes me a day to pass the test. I could also suspect I have less water then calculated but most other values come out about right when I add the chemicals and you guys helped me estimate my pool volume a couple of years ago. In addition my pool is extra full this year so I Cant imagine having less then 29000 gallons.

Thanks for the link to that page with SLAM instructions, I had the same thing from another post here and it wasn't detailed as to when to do PH, this is a better post.

Rafael, I would recommend a couple things okay:
- Your PH is too high. You need to lower that per the Poolmath calculator (link below).
- You need FC (free chlorine) right away. Anything below your minimum level as noted on the Chlorine/CYA chart (link below) will allow algae to return.

Those two items are very important, and I would not hesitate to start working on those right away. Good luck!

ha ha. Fair enough. I was asleep at that particular (PH) moment. On your note from 10:30 yesterday though, "Chlorine 0", was that intended to be for CC perhaps? That's why I mentioned about adding from bleach earlier.

As for completing a SLAM (3 years in a row) in such a short period of time ... don't let that secret get out or you'll have hundreds of new TFP'ers knocking on your door to do their SLAM.

ha ha. Fair enough. I was asleep at that particular (PH) moment. On your note from 10:30 yesterday though, "Chlorine 0", was that intended to be for CC perhaps? That's why I mentioned about adding from bleach earlier.

As for completing a SLAM (3 years in a row) in such a short period of time ... don't let that secret get out or you'll have hundreds of new TFP'ers knocking on your door to do their SLAM.

I believe that post at 10:33 (shows 3:33 for me) was just stating that those were my original readings before I started SLAMing on Saturday night.
I will try to not to let the secret out :p but I do not think I am doing anything special :) I just think my water stays clear over the winter. I let the rain and snow fill the pool. Also I found that the bleach I use must me much stronger then labeled because my FC levels shoot a lot higher then suggested during SLAMing period. Maybe that speeds up the process?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.