selecting pump and filter 18 ft round x 48" AGP/I'm dizzy

Tere

Bronze Supporter
May 30, 2015
Colorado Springs
I going cross eyed trying to learn, help : / I tried search for answers but I get so confused.

I have a 10 y.o. used Lomart pool ( $150) 18'x48" not installed yet. It has a used Lomart sand filter spectra 1. I can't even find an info on it. I cant get the filter gizmos to work so to prevent the pool water from having a disaster I think I should scrap the filter and pump( one has a burn melt mark and the other Flotec seems to be missing a significant part).

I hear a lot about Hayward filters but still don't understand them, there are so many to choose.
what horse power on pump?
Does it come with a cord?
I hear 2 speed is good, ?why is that? So I can run at high speed for disaster time, chemical mixing and low time to save electricity?
I think I have 7,600 gal by the pool volume calculator ( 18' x 48 " round)
I think having a filter/pump bigger than needed comes in handy when the pool turns green ( we have barely any trees-mostly pine on the prairie but we do have blowing prairie dust, possible tumble weed invasion like 8 ft high but that's in non pool season) Did I mention a dog!!!!

I think I would do best with a sand filter, I'm not ready for the big league and need simple. We may have a lab swimming in it and teenagers.

There is a local pool store ( 75 miles for one and 50 the other) that does dough boy -big bucks /lomart pools less expensive same company manufacturing them.

here is one stores pumps, not sure if they have in stock Above Ground Pool Sand Filters | Marina Pool Spa & Patio

Here is one I thought might do, It says "quiet" important as pool is out side of bedroom. GAME SandPRO50 Above Ground Pool Sand Filter | Marina Pool Spa & Patio

This is out first AGP and once the teenager (17) leaves, if he leaves, I don't know how long we would do pool. I do like aqua aerobics and need pool exercising.

I am thinking of ordering the pool liner from Poolsupplies.com.
I will be traveling to the pool store as I have errands near buy and may come home with filter pump and liner if a good price.

I decided on polystyrene foam for the bottom as I fear a wash out of sand. We can get torrential rains or 3-4 " here in the high mountain desert, go figure.

I plan on ordering one of the recommended pool test kits suggested here

Thanks Teresa

I will try to answer what I can...

A 1 HP pump should be fine on that sized pool.

2 speed, you got it. Low for normal use, high for vacuuming and mixing chems.

Bigger pump for when it turns green? Your pool should NEVER turn green if you care for it properly. Never need to SLAM/shock. Never.

Sand filter. Yes, as large of one as you can afford.

As for test kits. Get the TF-100 with XL. It will last you a long time vs the k-2006 which has much less reagents.

Welcome, Looking at the sand filter and pump you have linked I think it might be a little under powered for the pool you have. I would look at 3/4hp pumps and bigger sand filters. The 2 speed pumps are more money but will save electricity. I'm not that familiar with them so I will let someone else steer you in that direction. You can get the Intex for a decent price and can use adapters to connect it to the standard hard plumbing or hoses. INTEX SAND FILTER AND PUMP and the ADAPTERS Good luck and post up pics when you get it up and running.

Thanks Blacklisted and Scuba Steve. LOL as far as green, well Murphys law. I have a chronic painful disease and a very lazy family. Not to mention a brain disease so perfection in the pool department is a dream. IF I can get some exercise in the pool it may help my pain. If the teenager likes the pool a lot he MAY be motivated to understand how to keep it clear. He is very bright in math. Once I get things simplified it may go better. Some days I can mix cement like 1500 lbs over a summer and then other days walking to the bathroom is too much.

So Intex sand filters and pumps are ok? I could get it from Walmart as we returned the way to big Intex pool last year and have a credit. Maybe is it the Intex that comes with the Intex pools are undersized?

I saw one intex had .95 HP [h=1]Intex Sand Filter Pump with GFCI for Pools, 3000-Gallon vs the 2800 has a .75 HP Should I go with the .95 HP?[/h]Thanks

Re: selecting pump and filter 18 ft round x 48" AGP/I'm dizzy

Intex are good pumps if you understand that they have about a 2 year life. You paying a cheap price knowing that it will have to be replaced well before lets say a Hayward. Most people who make this decision realize that even with buying the filter 3x they will often still pay less than the Hayward.

If you have the cash, go with the better filter by all means. You just quoted a cheap filter. I think if buying cheap, Intex is the way to go. Better reputation than most other cheap stuff.

Yes, the filters that come with the pools are undersized slightly. Very undersized in the smaller pools. For example, my 1500gph pump does a decent job. I would only say slightly undersized. The tiny little filter that comes with say the 12x30 pool couldn't clean a kiddee pool.

- - - Updated - - -

If you have a hard time keeping up with things, you need to automate as much as possible.

I have pretty severe PTSD and a TBI. I have a hard time keeping focus on things for an extended period of time. Meaning I am good for a few weeks, but months down the road I will slack off heavily. For this reason I chose a SWG. You still need to check on it, but for the most part it adds chlorine for me and I don't need to worry.

So Scuba Steve, PTSD and TBI sucks but it can make doing things pretty hard but pools are good therapy.

I'm researching SWG now, can the discharge water be used to water the trees or garden? I have a lot of xeriscape plants which would love some extra water. It's very very dry here usually. The pool is in the middle of a 50'x50' 1" round rock so no grass.

I also see you have a filter that uses cartridges? So I have read cartridges are expensive. As for hauling bleach bottles, heavy bottles make me cry as there's conviently no one around to do the carrying. A SWG seems like a nice idea. Can it hadle a dog in the pool. She's a pup and I've seen her pee in the river and her paddle pool, just a little ; )

Seems some use a SWG with sand pump?

Re: selecting pump and filter 18 ft round x 48" AGP/I'm dizzy

Hey, All, this came with the pool besides the lomart original pump with a burn melted area

Its a Flotec pump but the motor part is there and a very large silver clamp with broken gasket but there is no front part. I think he used it as a pond pump. He mentioned giving it to me and say this could work. He was in construction and rigged stuff easily. Not me. Any ideas if it could be used. There is no electrical cord.

Flotec Composite Sprinkler Pump (fp5162) - Sump Pump Accessories - Amazon.com

Thanks Blacklisted and Scuba Steve. LOL as far as green, well Murphys law. I have a chronic painful disease and a very lazy family. Not to mention a brain disease so perfection in the pool department is a dream. IF I can get some exercise in the pool it may help my pain. If the teenager likes the pool a lot he MAY be motivated to understand how to keep it clear. He is very bright in math. Once I get things simplified it may go better. Some days I can mix cement like 1500 lbs over a summer and then other days walking to the bathroom is too much.

So Intex sand filters and pumps are ok? I could get it from Walmart as we returned the way to big Intex pool last year and have a credit. Maybe is it the Intex that comes with the Intex pools are undersized?

I saw one intex had .95 HP [h=1]Intex Sand Filter Pump with GFCI for Pools, 3000-Gallon vs the 2800 has a .75 HP Should I go with the .95 HP?[/h]Thanks

The advantage of the 3000 gallon .95hp unit is that it has a 16" filter that holds 100lbs of sand. The other unit has a smaller filter that holds less sand. I have the bigger filter, and would recommend the bigger one if that's the route you're going. Less frequent backwashes. I'm very happy with mine. The larger unit is readily available online for about $180 delivered.

The one in my sig is the model from a couple years ago. It's .95hp and 16" filter. I think the marketing department is just using a "peak" flow rating now, and the current 3000GPH is basically the same thing.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.