Used 4 in1 shock as shock now have a cloudy milk looking pool.

Scan

Jun 12, 2015
Vancouver B.C.
HI
I wish i had looked for a form years ago to help out with our pool
I mostly took a water sample several times a summer to local pool supply with good results.

This time I came across a product Agua Chen 4-1 shock + 3" pucks 6+1 at Costco USA. bough last fall.

I though to my self great idea less running around all in one product will try it. Big mistake on my part. We have used this pool for over 25 years.

I was away for several days & came back to a green pool this week.
Great time to try this new to me product 4IN1.
1 bag of 4in1 no change in an hour water still green with swirls of darker green on bottom. 2 more bags no change so I put 1 more for total of 4 bags in over a 3 hour period. + brushed the sides several times.

Checked levels with Insta test strips NO CL on the strip. I now have a white coloured/cloudy water.

Three days have passed & one backwash & added about 2" of fresh city water.

Costco accepted my returned opened & used product.

IMG_2411-c.jpg

I also have 2 3" pucks in skimmer Aqua Chem tabs plus (6 in 1)

As you can see from the pic I have purchased some products recommended here, I also ordered a test kit TAYLOR K-2006.

The oldest test kit I have used up to now is a Guardex 4-in 1. the drops are well past best before date.
I"m currently using Aguacheck dip sticks 4 test on a stick. new this year.

Here are the results from the two kits.

Guardex:
FC 3+, PH 6.8 TA 80, CC 3+.

Aguacheck:
FC 0, PH 6.2, TA80+, CH0-30,

When I receive the new test kit I will post the results and run the test through the (pool-math) what a great tool..

Welcome to TFP!

Well, while waiting for your kit, do a little reading in Pool School. The one number I have not seen mentioned is CYA. The hidden secret of pool care that the stores don't tell you is that the higher your stabilizer/CYA level, the more chlorine you need to keep your pool clear and sanitary.

All of the products you have been using contain CYA, so you probably have too much for the level of chlorine in the water.

Welcome to TFP! :wave: We can relate to your situation. As Tim noted, the kit is priority #1. Once you receive it, you'll see why you will never have to step your foot in a pool store again. Don't put any more pool store chemicals in your pool at all. Maybe just a gallon of regular bleach each day is all for now. And yes, please start reading the vital links below in my signature. Extremely important for you right now.

And your service with Search & Rescue is appreciated. We hope we never need it, but ...... :)

One thing about the FC and the test strips: high FC can bleach out the dye and make them read nothing when you have lots.

The cloudy white stuff is dead bleached algae carcasses. So you killed some, but not all. At this point, stick with liquid pool shock or bleach to keep it from going back to green. One jug of clorox a day ought to hold things where they are.

One other potential concern many of those 3 in 1, 4 in 1 products contain copper, if you still have any check the ingredients. Copper can turn your water green also when it builds up to a certain point, it can be treated by repeated application of sequesterants, but can only be removed by water replacement.

Ok, it looks like the 4-1 shock does not contain copper, it is straight dichlor, so will add FC as well as lots of CYA , the 6-1 tabs are mostly trichlor, but also contain 3-8% trade secret, which might be a copper compound.

Either way chances are you are looking at a major water replacement to get your CYA level down to something sane.

Hi MarianParoo
I have set up an account in parcel handling company in Point Robert Washington. Confirmed US address with Amazon & Ebay & Pay-Pal & credit card.
I now have a US address that charges a fee $ per item based on size etc....
I Declare everything I bring back to B.C.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hi TFP picked up test kit this morning.
Testing has started today;)
water Temp 84F
FC 0,0 tested several times.
ph less than 7.
TA 80
CH 30 to 40 tested two times
CYA 50 to 53

Back wash done this morning pool is a bit cloudy.

Do you have any recommendation where to start?

Stu

IMG_2414-c.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2414-c.jpg
    IMG_2414-c.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 120
As to the CYA, Don't equate “just a little over 50” to a number, the tube is not marked for such extrapolation. Put away that baking soda in the photo, your TA is fine where it is.

Use Pool Math for the following calculations-

Bring your FC up to 10 with bleach

Bring your pH up to 7.2 using Borax. Borax raises the PH and also raises the TA level just a little. Borax is available as 20 Mule Team® Borax Natural Laundry Booster. It is sold in the laundry detergent section of most larger grocery stores and some big box stores. Borax is best added by pre-dissolving it in a bucket of water and then pouring that slowly in front of a return.

After the sun is off the pool, lets conduct a Overnight FC Loss Test (OCLT). I'm betting you will show a loss int the morning significant enough to require you to start the SLAM Process tomorrow.

Hi M P.
Day off for me. Just my luck it is trying to rain.
Yes I did fill the test tube twice with the same solution in the tube with the black bot on bottom.

Second test after two hours
put in pool:
3.57L jug Clorox into stream from water return jet.
5k Borax 2.5 boxes of 2k per box. pre disolved into stream from water return jet.
brushed pool several times took dog for walk

FC .6 ppm (still working on the process) looks like CC is 1.6 ppm.
PH 7.8
TA 110
CH30
I did not test the CYA the kit looks like it only contain enough for 4 tests.

Stu

Hey. So glad you got your kit!

For adjustments to pH, (and CYA) go slowly in the future. Use only half of what you think you need and then retest. Your pH is now too high. Sorry. You will probably need about (don't measure, guestimate this) 1/4 gallon of MA to bring it down to around 7.2, BUT add a quart first and retest an hour or so later. Add appropriately to get it to 7.2.

Here is a link on how to conduct a slam: Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

Add 2-1/4 gallons (equivalent) of 8.25% bleach (adjust this if your strength is different), to bring FC to 20. That is your "shock level". You need to raise it to shock level and keep it there because you need to slam your pool. A CC of greater than 0.5 tells you that. 2C of 8.25% bleach will raise your FC by 1.0 ppm. Keep that idea in mind going forward.

CYA: unless you added anything else, no need to test this again for a long time. Most people only do it at start-up, mid-season, and at close unless they are checking additions. Save your reagent.

For now, once you get your pH to 7.2ish, don't test anything except for FC and CC.

Once you pass your slam, test pH, FC, and CC daily until you get a good feel for your pool. Then you can go every other day or so if your FC target is mid-range. TA, once a week. Don't bother with CH for now.

There are directions on your test kit inside lid for testing FC and CC with a 10 ml sample. Use only 1 scoop of powder. This will save your reagents. Use those instructions until you think you are ready for the final OCLT test.

Keep an eye on your reagents. Before they get too low, order more. With your commute, you will need the time. Check especially 0871 FC/CC, 0004 pH, and 0014 CYA.

I may have missed something, so ask questions! Best wishes!

Hi MP

Your recommendations of only needing 2.25 gal to reach FC of 20 would be great but after reading several scenario's in the forum I think I have a high algae count that is using up the Clorox.

Yesterday we tried to reach a level of 20 FC but only reached 7 FC after 8 jugs of Clorox ( 3.57l/jug) over several hours between 18.00 & 22.00 hrs.
Reading this morning @ 09.00.
FC 1.
CC 3.5
PH 7 -----------added 250 g of borax after testing using PoolMath recommendations.
TA 110

Of to store for more Clorox

Wife has become uncomfortable with the volume of Clorox the pool has consumed since we have started last week.
We have used 12, 3.57L jugs so far.

Testing with 10ML or 25ML of pool water after powder turns to lite pink solution. the next step, drop swirl count etc.. the solution goes clear then within a few seconds turns back to pink. I just keep adding drops & swirl till the solution stays clear. you can really see the difference between a sample of water that has a FC 2 & FC 7 after the power is added before counting drop to make clear.

And we to only using 1 scoop of powder. I have watched several yo-tub videos.

All testing is done in shade of house. pool in on the north face of property.

Stu

I think I have read that a high CC can cause some weirdness with the solution turning back to pink quickly. (it will turn back to pink for anyone if left alone for a few minutes after you're done with the test.) Hopefully someone with more info on that might be able to shed some light.

As far as your wife's concern about how much bleach has gone in...if you mean she's worried that you're going to have a big pool full of bleach then just let her know that all that bleach is in essence, gone. It is breaking down into CCs (among other fancy chemical things) and getting outgassed and burned off by the sun. It's not accumulating. That's the point of the FC test, to measure how much is in there. If you're only showing 1FC then the bleach has gone in, consumed something and broken down and therefore needs to be replenished.

Eventually the chlorine is going to start getting ahead in the fight and the FC will start to hold and you won't have to add so much so frequently.

Hopefully something I said made sense. lol If not, hopefully someone will be in right behind me to say something more sensible! :) (or smack me if I said something wrong. heh :hammer: )

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.