Here we go!

Jun 11, 2015
O'Fallon, MO
Tomorrow is put up day & my son said we are doing it rain or shine, ha ha. I'm sure he will change his mind but I'm declaring no rain!! I went to town today & bought 4 gallons of liquid chlorine 10% for $13.30. Walmart's bleach is $2.94 for 121 oz-not sure if any of you caught that yet, but the big bottles of grocery store bleach are no longer a full gallon. I figured that out to be $12.43 for 4 gallons unit price 8.25% bleach. Leslie's was a dollar cheaper plus WalMart's liquid chlorine was 12 % at roughly same price per gallon but I was on a time schedule today due to air man coming out (yay) so I stayed close to where I was shopping instead of going into several stores/driving a few miles around town. I didn't get CYA b/c of someone telling me I wouldn't need it until I receive my T-100 test kit anyway, which is due to arrive on the 19th. So.....do I need anything else to start? And when should I add the bleach? It's going to take a while to fill so do I wait until half full, all the way full, or add from the get go? We are supposed to have scattered T-storms for the next few days so will that impact when to add bleach? Thanks in advance!!

Need, I am sure one of the fabulous experts will help with all of your questions. I just wanted to say good luck and it will work great. I am just about finished with the SLAM and the pool looks great. Lots of helpful and encouraging people along the way!

welcome to tfp
using pool math type in your pool volume
then add 0 fc as current and 4 as target
add 0 cya and 30 as target
i would reccomend you do add enough cya to bring you to 30ppm
it wont show up on tests for a week anyway
put it in an old sock and hang in front of filter return
cya will stop the sun burning all your fc off
add enough bleach to reach 3 or 4 ppm
that water is going to be cold for a while
but children will go in until they are blue
then thaw out and back in again

Congrats on the new pool. Wait until it is full and the pump is running. Add 30ppm of CYA in a sock and hang it in front of a return or toss it in a skimmer. Bring chlorine up to target for 30ppm of CYA, Chlorine CYA Chart

Here are some of my fave Pool School articles in case you missed any of them.
TFPC for Beginners
ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry

Here are the Recommended Levels for your pool.
Here are the Recommended Pool Chemicals and how to add them.
Use PoolMath to figure out how much to add.

New pool :party:

You don't have to wait to add CYA. You know there will be none in tap water, so poolmath can tell you how much to add to get from zero to whatever your target is pretty accurately as long as you input the correct pool volume.

You're sort of handicapped without a pH tester. Even a <gasp> test strip will work for that. pH is the one test they usually test correctly. Ignore the rest. Maybe a friend or neighbor will give you a couple strips or let you borrow their pH tester? As long as you call them AFTER the pool is up and full, they probably wouldn't be afraid to come over and help.

My usual advice
1) Fill pool and get pump going. Look for leaks.
2) Add 2 FC. Poolmath will tell you how much that is.
3) Measure out the CYA granules into a sock and set it in the skimmer or dangle it in front of a return.
4) By then the water has had plenty of time to mix so you test and adjust pH then.

Keep FC at 2 the first day, then 3 until the CYA is dissolved and then set the FC to the target for whatever your calculated CYA is.

What chemicals to use to do what and how to add them Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

Thanks-you guys rock! Of course the one thing I didn't think I need, I do, but will be back in town on Sunday so can pick it up then. Yes, kiddos don't care at all about water temp, LOL. Richard, I do have a pH tester-just the cheapo Walmart thing, but I have it!! Can't wait & hope the rain stays away......:D

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.