Double flashing service light

ge2655

LifeTime Supporter
Nov 20, 2008
Guys,

I have an AutoPilot Soft Touch Model #ST220, cell SC-36, 230 VAC. Unit is approx 4 years old.

Service light flashes twice constantly.

I have done the following:
1.) Checked the cable, banana plugs and salt level. Plugs looked slightly worn but appear to be snug. The contact pins on the cell appeared not to be corroded and were wiped clean.
2.) Neighbor, an electrician, checked the internal fuses - OK
3.) Calibrated the unit in the salt mode as per the instructions. Salt 3000 ppm.
4.) Checked the cell. It showed light scale build up which I cleaned. The blades do exhibit some wear but it is difficult to see them very well.
Diagnostic readings as of yesterday...
Volts = 2.5
Amps = 1.8

Unit produces purifier and maintains good FC level in pool.

With this scenario, does the flashing service light ultimately mean the cell is on the way out?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you,
-Gary Eufemia
Hollywood Florida

Hi Gary,

The double flashing light is usually related to either the cell scaling up, the salt level being lower than the displayed salt level, or the water temps dropping down below 65 degrees, particularly with the SC-48 cell.

You mentioned that the salt was 3000 ppm, was this determined by a test?

The diagnostics amps and volts do not sound correct. The voltage should run around 17 volts on up to 29 volts. The amps should be around 5.0, 6.5, or 8.0 amps, depending on the cell power setting.

How old is your system? If it's still within the 2 years warranty for parts and labor, I would just call the factory, 800-786-7751. Make sure you have your serial number.

If the cell were failed, you would have a 3 flashing light status.

Hope this helps,

Sean,

You wrote:
The double flashing light is usually related to either the cell scaling up, the salt level being lower than the displayed salt level, or the water temps dropping down below 65 degrees, particularly with the SC-48 cell.
Cell is clean, salt level is confirmed @ 3000 ppm and H2O temp 69. Cell is C-36.

You wrote:
You mentioned that the salt was 3000 ppm, was this determined by a test?
Salt tested and confirmed by Leslie's.

You wrote:
The diagnostics amps and volts do not sound correct. The voltage should run around 17 volts on up to 29 volts. The amps should be around 5.0, 6.5, or 8.0 amps, depending on the cell power setting.
I think I placed an erroneous decimal point in the volt reading. There are 2 flashes followed by 5 flashes which should translate to 25 volts. Amp reading is correct however 1.8 amps.

Thank you for your reply. I guess I won't worry too much about the service light as long as the unit is producing purifier at apparently sufficient levels.

Regards and thanks again for your interest.

-Gary Eufemia
Hollywood Florida

You would normally see a 3 flash for a worn out cell. However, you can visually inspect the cell to determine if the cell is just worn out, which is likely the case with your system being 4 years old.
Turn the pump off.
Remove the cell and inspect the two outer blades.
If they appear shorter than the three blades between them, it's time to replace the cell.

You are still producing some chlorine, and as long as it's maintaining, you're ok....for now.
I would recommend getting a replacement so you're not sitting with a green pool, should that situation arise.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.