What causes liners to suddenly have a hole during winter storage?

Spades

Oct 3, 2014
Riverside, CA
Ive read a few threads now where people setup their above ground pools after storing it for the winter. Is it from folding it too tightly and causing a crease and eventually a tear? Im planning to setup my pool for this season which i stored loosely in a box in the garage, and im worried that it will suddenly have formed a hole, and the only way to find out is AFTER filling it up.

I wish I knew. In between years 2-3 mine got a tiny pinhole fairly close to the edge. Luckily we caught it at setup and were able to locate it and patch it. I can only assume somewhere during the take down, drying, folding, storing, or setting up something poked it.

How do you manage to find a pinhole? Especially with all the squares in the design of the liner making you cross-eyed

While filling we noticed a puddle in one spot while we only had a couple inches of water in the pool. I got in the pool grabbed the sidewall and pulled the side back. The wife dried everything up with a towel. We put it back down just for a bit and then I pulled it back again. There was just a small puddle that got us pretty close. The wife dried off the pool and watched from the outside where we had narrowed it down to til she saw some drops, then I just located it on the inside. It was a tiny dark speck.

A few things we had going for us. We have an "easy set" so I could just get in and pull the side back. We noticed it when there was only a little bit of water. It was close to the edge. The pool is set up on a polystyrene pad so the puddle was easy to see and wipe up.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.