OK Geniuses

Jun 30, 2014
Michigan
Found this site 2 years ago ish, Switched to BBB TFP method and ALL is good. Well besides the wife. Even tho we spend pennies on the dollar compared to before I switched to BBB the wife came home today with a 80 dollar bucket of chlorine tablets and a new floaty. I laughed and politely asked why ??? Said she likes the smell of the chlorine tablets. Mind you the pool is perfect. Numbers are perfect. Opened it up weeks ago for less than 20$....

I just dont get it.

Am i losing my man card or mind ? WHAT the ___ :taped:____ do I do ?

Put one puck in it and float it in the pool only when she is in the pool. Happy wife, happy life.

What I would want to say and what I would say are two different things of course ;)

One option is to put the floater in the pool empty and never fill it except for vacations. Assuming she doesn't touch it she may never know.

Another option is to tell her that smell is the smell of an unsanitary pool and see what she says to that.

Another option, most likely a very bad option, is to print off every pool school article. Give her the stack of papers, the test kit, and tell her that if she wants to use tabs in the pool then she can take over maintenance because you won't use them.

Or wait for one of the female members to give you better advice. That is probably the far, far better idea...

From my HTC One via Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
This thread made me laugh out loud.

I'm the wife in this pool ownership scenario and my husband doesn't have much more that the slightest clue about water testing. He doesn't know how for sure how to hook up the vacuum hose to vacuum the pool. I'll give him credit for finally helping me with chlorine testing during a SLAM this year while I was at work and he works from home. If only you could hear those telephone instructions......that magnetic bar for the speed stir is now "the bean"

I'm frugal......so I'd say try to return what she bought and show her this thread or this post.

This thread made me laugh out loud.

I'm the wife in this pool ownership scenario and my husband doesn't have much more that the slightest clue about water testing. He doesn't know how for sure how to hook up the vacuum hose to vacuum the pool. I'll give him credit for finally helping me with chlorine testing during a SLAM this year while I was at work and he works from home. If only you could hear those telephone instructions......that magnetic bar for the speed stir is now "the bean"

I'm frugal......so I'd say try to return what she bought and show her this thread or this post.

Me too AimeeH...the hubs doesn't know the different between my Kreepy krawly or leaf catcher, skimmer or pump basket. Testing? His eyes glaze over. The smell of chlorine is a mind trick. I remember thinking our family pool 40 yrs ago must be clean as long as I smelled the chlorine. I still love the smell but also know it doesn't mean jack.

Put one in a bucket of water beside the pool and she should be able to smell it.

Can you use those as drop-in-the-tank-toilet-bowl-cleaner-smelly-good-things? :scratch:

You can... just don't count on the toilet's hardware to like it very much. The metallic stuff will start to corrode, and the rubber seals will degrade as well. But on the bright side, the bowl will be sparkly clean. :D

One other thing, the Clorox toilet tablets are 3.5 oz and last for 3 months before fully dissolved. An 8 oz trichlor puck dissolves in about a week. I could only imagine both the spike in chlorine and the drop in PH in a few gallons of water.

Well Racer, you asked for a genius, and one has appeared. James, I bow down to you for this one!

LOL,,, Am a Hockey player of many many years so I do have an extra around but if she ever found out it would NOT be pretty.. Then everything I do would be in question..

SRY for the return delay ! On the day she brought the pucks home & I asked for the help.lol She says OH BTW the washing machine is making a real bad knocking noise so that issue has sucked any free time I had..

After I calmed down we had a nice talk. She is my best friend but sometimes is very stubborn and would not let go of the idea until I showed her her the BBB method and the Spreadsheet I got on here for the data logs. We discussed the savings, She sighed and eventually took them back :)

THANKS Everyone !!!!!!

I'm glad it worked out and you are lucky they took it back since some stores will not take back chemicals, even if unopened.

It's interesting that she liked the smell of Trichlor tabs since they smell much worse than bleach because they produce a little nitrogen trichloride that is very smelly and irritating though their main smell is that of chlorine. This is one reason why they now individually wrap Trichlor pucks when there's more than just a few in a bucket. There are also reasons for individual wrapping for transport, but mostly it's because there had been (in years past) a few deaths and injuries from people opening up large 50-100 pound Trichlor containers and getting overwhelmed with the fumes.

I think that some smells can be associated with things people remember from their past where they had a good experience. Perhaps she remembers the smell from a pool where she used to swim. Another example would be people associating the smell of lighter fluid and charcoal with barbequing. Therefore, things don't necessarily need to be good for someone for them to want or like the smell.

A note about switching the tabs for hockey pucks: It was just supposed to be funny and never serious. Being honest and working things out to everyone's satisfaction is always the best way to go.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.